Structuring, financing and operating real estate investment trusts (REITs) require a detailed understanding of many complex issues. These include real estate, corporate governance, finance, tax, securities and partnership law, as well as compliance with numerous disclosure and reporting obligations.
Blakes REIT lawyers provide clients with diverse experience and a sophisticated understanding of a wide range of matters. Our comprehensive, strategic advice on REIT matters includes structuring, management, financing, securitization and tax issues, acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures, take-over bids, equity offerings, public offerings, leaseback arrangements, reorganizations, and many other issues related to the ownership of commercial properties.
We take a multidisciplinary approach and draw on the expertise of our Tax, Corporate & Commercial, Financial Services, Capital Markets and Commercial Real Estate lawyers to provide efficient and cost-effective services. We also work closely with investment banking firms, accounting firms and other professionals to assist clients with their financing needs and tax obligations.
Our clients are publicly and privately owned REITs, equity and mortgage REITs, real estate funds, partnerships, joint ventures, and other real estate owners and participants. They also include issuers, underwriters, lenders, sponsors and other advisers.
If you want expert REIT advice, Blakes has the comprehensive expertise to meet your needs.
- TransGlobe Apartment REIT privatization by Starlight Investments Ltd. and sale of 14 multi-unit residential properties in Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia to Canadian Apartment Properties REIT; 26 multi-unit residential properties in Ontario, Quebec and Alberta to Timbercreek Asset Management Inc.; 63 properties in four Canadian provinces to Starlight and its affiliates; and the 72 remaining REIT properties to a joint venture comprised of Starlight and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board.
- Legacy Hotels REIT C$2.5-billion privatization by LGY Acquisition LP.
- Scott’s REIT acquisition, lease-back and financing of 12 pharmacy-anchored retail properties in five Canadian provinces.
- Primaris Retail REIT C$85-million acquisition of Place Fleur de Lys, an enclosed regional shopping centre in Québec city.
- Primaris Retail REIT C$199-million acquisition of Midtown Plaza, an enclosed regional shopping centre in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and Cornwall Centre, a two-storey enclosed shopping centre in downtown Regina, Saskatchewan.