More than 20 years after breaking from the Soviet Union, the former Soviet republics in Central Asia are undergoing impressive development. Led by Kazakhstan, the region is experiencing an energy boom, with the discovery of increasing quantities of oil and gas, pipelines, roads and railways reshaping the continent. As a result, east-west links are forming between Europe and East Asia, and Central Asian companies are seeking to expand and grow local, regional and global opportunities.
Blakes represents a wide range of Central Asian companies doing business or seeking to invest in Canada as well as Canadian companies operating or investing in Central Asia. We frequently advise on inbound and outbound investments in the energy, mining and technology sectors, as well as a broad range of infrastructure projects, collaborative business dealings and financing arrangements. Clients appreciate our significant experience with mergers and acquisitions, competition, antitrust and foreign investment, venture structuring, corporate finance, banking, infrastructure development, real estate and project finance.
As one of very few full-service, national Canadian law firms, Blakes has the experience and resources to provide fully integrated legal services to corporate clients across Canada and in Central Asia. Our Firm maintains offices in Canada's key business centres, enabling us to offer investors geographic-specific advice regarding their Canadian investments.
Leveraging long-established relationships with leading international legal and accounting firms and regulatory bodies and working with local counsel in Asia, we deliver comprehensive, streamlined service responsive to the particular needs of our clients.
- Advised international public-sector clients and international financial institutions with respect to public-private partnership/private-sector participation in water and wastewater projects in Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Georgia, Armenia, the Ukraine and Tajikistan.
- Advised PetroKazakhstan Overseas Services Inc. on its legal requirements in Canada.
- Advised a Korean conglomerate in connection with its proposed oil asset investment in Kazakhstan.
- Advised the Canadian selling agent with respect to the US$95.9-million offering of subscription receipts by Buried Hill Exploration Ltd., a private oil and gas exploration company with operations in Turkmenistan.
- Advised a major North American oilfield services company on the acquisition of an oilfield services business with assets in the UAE, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iraq and Venezuela.
- Advised the underwriters with respect to an initial public offering of Tethys Petroleum Ltd, a U.K.-based company with operations in Kazakhstan and Tajikistan, and advised the Canadian selling agents with respect to the subsequent sale of Tethys's shares.
- Advised on the formation, management and dissolution of joint ventures, investments and strategic alliances in Pakistan.
- Acted for technology and clean technology companies on cross-border commercial agreements, including licensing distribution and outsourcing for numerous countries, including Pakistan.