Mineral-rich Latin America offers great potential for mining projects as many of the Latin American countries are opening their markets to foreign investment. High commodity prices and favourable conditions are attracting investors from all over the world. Those seeking to explore and develop mineral projects in Latin America require lawyers skilled in all project stages, from venture financing and exploration through development and production. The Blakes Latin America group is comprised of lawyers knowledgeable about South American businesses and culture and skilled in representing Latin American clients and those doing business in the region.
We advise on a wide range of transactions, including joint ventures, strategic alliances, inbound and outbound investments, and acquisitions and business expansion in Canada. We have acted for a number of large, multinational corporations in connection with mining, telecommunications, energy and infrastructure projects, among others.
Clients retain Blakes because we possess unmatched expertise in mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, banking, competition, antitrust and foreign investment, commodity tax and customs, taxation, technology, and real estate matters. They know that they can rely on our recognized skill and leading practices devoted to energy, natural resources, forestry and mining, oil and gas, environmental, financial services, infrastructure, manufacturing, telecommunications, and technology. In fact, our extensive mining and natural resources expertise is recognized as among the best worldwide, offering clients in-depth knowledge and expertise in the key Canadian financial and capital markets.
Both foreign and domestic clients benefit from our lawyers’ strategic business advice and guidance through Canada’s legislative and regulatory framework, including foreign investment regulations and disclosure requirements. Ranked by Bloomberg and Thomson Reuters in the first nine months of 2012 as the number one law firm for global and Canadian announced M&A by deal value, we are the firm of choice for clients seeking representation and advice on their inbound investments and cross-border M&A transactions. We are also especially respected for our financial services, capital markets and regulatory work. Having advised on many of the best-known global M&A and financing transactions, we are frequently called upon to act for clients in transactions involving non-Canadian acquirers of Canadian businesses. As a leader in corporate finance, we have assisted companies seeking to list offerings on Canada's Toronto Stock Exchange and TSX Venture Exchange. With offices in Canada’s financial centres and key business centres worldwide, Blakes is poised to assist international and domestic clients considering cross-border opportunities.
Blakes in Latin America
For many years, Blakes has represented leading Latin American companies doing business in Canada and Canadian companies with interests in Latin America. Working alongside local law firms and advisers, we regularly counsel Latin American-based companies on all aspects of Canadian foreign investment, securities, mining, mergers and acquisitions, competition, tax, trade, and business law. As a national Canadian law firm, Blakes has the experience and resources to provide fully integrated legal services to corporate clients across Canada and internationally.
- Newstrike Capital Inc. on its combination with Timmins Gold Corp. to create an emerging, Mexican-focused, intermediate gold producer.
- Lundin Gold Inc. (formerly Fortress Mineral Corp.) on its acquisition of the US$240-million Fruta del Norte Gold Project in Ecuador from Kinross Gold Corporation and offering of approximately C$200-Million of subscription receipts which funds were used to fund the acquisition.
- Quadra FNX on its US$3-billion joint venture with Sumitomo Metal Mining and Sumitomo Corporation to develop the Sierra Gorda mine in Chile.
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV on its US$20.1-billion acquisition of the remaining stake in Grupo Modelo, S.A.B. de C.V.
- Fortress Minerals Corp. on its acquisition of the US$240-million Fruta del Norte Gold Project in Ecuador from Kinross Gold Corporation.
- Quadra FNX Mining Ltd. on the acquisition and operation of the Franke Mine.
- Webtech Wireless Inc. in connection with its Brazilian operations including oversight of litigation and related matters.
- Timmins Gold Corp. in connection with its operations of its operating assets in Mexico.
- The underwriters in connection with the US$41-million financing of Extorre Gold Mines to fund exploration at its Puntudo, Don Sixto and Cerro Morro projects in Argentina.
- A private European mining group on investments and acquisitions in Peru, Argentina and Central America.
- Brazauro Resources Corporation on its C$122-million acquisition by Eldorado Gold Corporation.
- Kinross Gold Corporation on the sale of its Gurupi project in Brazil to Jaguar Mining Inc. in 2009.
- An investor with respect to the purchase of an electricity transmission company in Chile.
- Remora Energy International in connection with the US$225-million acquisition of a 50 per cent stake in four Colombia Llanos Basin blocks.