Canadian and international developers need to develop and sell projects within optimal time frames to maximize profits. This process often involves compliance with, or amendment of, complex municipal and provincial regulations.
Blakes Real Estate lawyers have handled some of the largest and most challenging commercial and industrial projects in Canada. Our clients include developers, real estate advisers, banks, pension funds, insurance companies, governments and government agencies, major retailers, hotel owners and operators, and U.S. and other foreign investors.
We counsel developers on a wide range of matters, including the acquisition and disposition of developed properties, purchasing and developing vacant land and urban redevelopment sites, and servicing, subdivision and construction issues.
Our Environmental, Project Finance, Infrastructure, Leasing and Municipal & Planning lawyers consider all aspects of land-use regulation and development approval, including rezoning and land severance applications. Our lawyers also appear before administrative tribunals and other approval-granting authorities.
Blakes has the expertise to help you work with government and other stakeholders to ensure the success of your real estate project.
- Detroit River Tunnel Partnership acquisition of an existing operating railway tunnel and approach and other lands extending between Canada and the U.S. for the construction and development of a proposed new railway tunnel between Windsor, Ontario, and Detroit, Michigan.
- Government of the Bahamas US$2.4-billion proposed redevelopment of Cable Beach Resort near Nassau in conjunction with Baha Mar Developments and Harrah's and their related entities.
- Townline Group acquisition, financing and redevelopment of the former Fantasy Gardens site in Richmond, B.C., as a phased mixed-use residential neighbourhood.
- GolfBC Holdings Inc. redevelopment of a strata hotel and mixed-use property in Whistler, B.C., including timeshare and fractional ownership interests.
- Toronto College Park Ltd. structured sale of several condominium development sites at College Park in downtown Toronto, including the negotiation of shared parking, truck loading and easement agreements.
- Higgins Development Partners, LLC acquisition, development and leasing of numerous industrial sites.
- GWL Realty Advisors Inc. acquisition and development of the Southcore Financial Centre, a mixed-use retail, office and hotel project being constructed in downtown Toronto, including 26- and 30-storey office towers and a 566-room four-star Delta hotel.
- Build Toronto Inc. planning and strategic advice in connection with the development of a 73-acre site near the former Downsview Airport in north Toronto as a mixed-use residential, commercial and retail project.
- ClubLink Corporation acquisition and development of numerous golf courses and recreational properties.
- ProLogis acquisition, development and leasing of numerous industrial sites.