“Unanimously regarded as a pre-eminent firm in the pensions and benefits arena in Canada. … Also widely acknowledged as a go-to firm for pension litigation.”
Chambers Canada: Canada’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2016
The universe of tax-preferred retirement and savings arrangements available in Canada has been expanding. These new arrangements, together with new and proposed tax legislation and regulatory guidelines governing existing retirement and savings arrangements, have increased the demand for our advice on related compliance and regulatory issues.
We are frequently retained to review, interpret, draft and negotiate documents governing retiring allowances, retirement compensation arrangements, registered retirement savings plans, tax-free savings accounts, employees profit-sharing plans, deferred profit-sharing plans, registered education savings plans and other retirement and savings arrangements.
Our unparalleled expertise in this area is evidenced by the fact that our clients include many of the largest trust companies, insurance companies and other financial institutions in Canada that issue or offer such retirement and savings vehicles and products, as well as employers of all sizes that implement such arrangements for their employees.
- Advised one of Canada’s largest employers on significant amendments to its multi-faceted employee savings program.
- At the forefront of assisting financial institutions and employers in establishing new “group” tax-free savings account arrangements.
- Advise many financial institutions on compliance, registration and administration of their specimen retirement and employee savings plans.
- Routinely advise employers on options and legal issues relating to retirement and employee savings arrangements in the context of corporate transactions.
- Regularly advise employers on establishing tailor-made retirement compensation arrangements to provide secured supplementary pension benefits for highly compensated employees.