"Top-tier national tax practice with offices in Toronto, Montréal, Calgary and Vancouver. Highly sought after for its experience in transactional planning, including a high volume of M&A activity, much of it cross-border. Also known for its diversity of practice, with impressive capabilities in transfer pricing and commodity tax issues, as well as tax controversy ."
Chambers Canada: Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business 2017
As the trend towards global transparency and international co-ordination among tax authorities accelerates, successful businesses require direct access to tax advisers who understand their businesses and provide responsive, thoughtful and practical advice. Experienced deal-makers know that one of the key features of most successful transactions is increasingly early-stage input of tax counsel.
The national leadership role of the Blakes Tax group is widely recognized by the Canadian and international tax bar. Lawyers in the group have served as active members and chairs of the Joint Committee on Taxation of the Canadian Bar Association and Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, and have even been invited to testify before the Canadian Senate regarding proposed tax legislation. Members of the group also participate actively as leaders in the International Fiscal Association, the Canadian Tax Foundation, the tax sections of provincial bar associations and numerous other professional and industry organizations in Canada and abroad. With this longstanding tradition of deep involvement in the profession, Blakes Tax lawyers are constantly “plugged in” to the very latest tax developments, enabling our clients to plan effectively. The group’s tax bulletins provide timely briefings to our clients containing thoughtful commentaries on legislative proposals, major cases and pivotal tax rulings.
Blakes Tax lawyers work seamlessly with other team members to plan and execute a wide variety of transactions. Members of the group have specialized expertise in many practices and industries, including transfer pricing, financial institutions, capital markets transactions, structured finance, investment funds, real estate investment trusts, private equity and natural resources. The Tax group includes lawyers whose practices are dedicated exclusively to commodity taxes (harmonized sales tax and other sales taxes), providing our clients with an unmatched level of expertise. In addition, our Tax Controversy & Litigation lawyers advise and represent our clients in the audit process, administrative appeals, advance pricing agreements, competent authority proceedings and in the courts.
Operating as a unified group in all major markets across Canada, the Blakes Tax group provides exceptionally responsive, thoughtful and practical advice on all aspects of Canadian taxation.
- Wells Fargo & Company on its C$32-billion proposed acquisition of GE Capital’s Commercial Distribution Finance and Vendor Finance Businesses.
- Suncor Energy Inc. on its purchase of all of the shares of Canadian Oil Sands Limited valued at C$6.6-billion.
- UnitedHealth Group on its subsidiary OptumRx’s US$12.8-billion combination with Catamaran Corporation.
- TransCanada Corporation on its C$4.2-billion offering of subscription receipts in connection with the acquisition of Columbia Pipeline Group Inc., the largest bought deal in Canadian history.
- Aegon Canada ULC on the sale of its Canadian operations for C$600-million to Wilton Re Holdings, a subsidiary of CCPIB.
- A syndicate of underwriters on the C$1.83-billion initial public offering of common shares of Hydro One Limited, the largest Canadian IPO since 2000.
- Johnson Electric Holdings Limited on its C$800-million acquisition of Stackpole International.
- Trinidad Drilling Ltd. on its C$505-million acquisition of CanElson Drilling Inc.
- BCE Inc. on its C$594-million acquisition of Glentel Inc. and sale of 50 per cent of Glentel to Rogers Communications Inc.
- Standard Life plc on the sale of its Canadian business to Manulife for C$4-billion.
- KUFPEC Canada Inc. on its acquisition of Chevron Canada Limited’s 30 per cent interest in its Duvernay shale pay for US$1.5-billion.
- Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited on its sale to Scotiabank of a 20 per cent interest in its financial services business for C$500-million.
- H&R REIT on its C$2.75-billion acquisition of Primaris Retail REIT and subsequent sale of 18 Primaris properties for C$1.28-billion.
- Aurizon Mines Ltd. on its defence of a hostile take-over bid by Alamos Gold which resulted in a
C$796-million acquisition of Aurizon by Hecla Mining Company.