Sunny is a Partner and Co-Practice Group Leader of both the Firm's Technology Group and the Firm's India Practice Group. He has a substantial practice in mergers and acquisitions of technology companies and also deals with information technology, intellectual property, communications (telecommunications and broadcasting) and electronic commerce matters, and a range of corporate/commercial matters relating to technology and communications businesses. He provides corporate/commercial and regulatory advice to leading companies in the defence sector, both in Canada and globally.
Sunny also has an active life sciences/health law practice and has worked extensively for some of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies on a wide array of operational drug-related as well as corporate and commercial matters.
As co-head of the Firm's India Practice Group, Sunny represents a number of Indian companies doing business in Canada, as well as Canadian companies doing business in India. He travels to India frequently and was invited to attend six of the Province of Quebec's trade missions to India and Ontario Premier's recent mission to India.
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Financing companies from start-ups to mature players
- Complex commercial agreements, as well as intellectual property licensing schemes
- Franchising agreements
- A broad range of operational and corporate/commercial-related matters affecting technology companies
- Broadcasting and convergence/new media issues, and regulatory matters, including licensing matters
- Telecommunications issues and regulatory matters, including advising foreign entities on entry into the Canadian market
- Radiocommunications licences/clearances
Information (IT) Technology and Intellectual Property
- Outsourcing arrangements and procurement
- Intellectual property protection matters in general (patents, trade-marks, copyrights, etc.)
- Online copyright clearance issues and copyright board matters
- Advising IT industry players, such as the video gaming industry, on a range of issues
- The structuring of offshore operations especially with respect to e-commerce and intellectual property-based businesses
- E-commerce matters, including online set-ups and related agreements
- Privacy (data protection) issues
- Data retention and data handling
- Clinical trial agreements
- The appropriate handling of patient and subject information
- Contracting with government and hospitals
- Developing of a number of key standard operating policies relating to privacy and the handling of information
- Handling complex contracting arrangements, including manufacturing agreements and other pharmaceutical arrangements (e.g., distribution and wholesale arrangements)
- Intellectual property issues
- Pharmaceutical, health and regulatory advice
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Sunny has received the following awards and recognitions:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 (Communications Law, Information Technology Law, Technology Law, Intellectual Property Law and Health Care Law; also named Best Lawyers' 2017 Montréal Technology Law "Lawyer of the Year")
- The Legal 500 Canada 2017 (Leading Lawyer - Technology, Media and Telecoms)
- Who's Who Legal: Telecommunications Media & Technology 2017 (Information Technology and Telecoms & Media)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2016
- Chambers Canada: Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business 2016 (Information Technology)
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 ("Repeatedly Recommended" in Telecommunications, Biotechnology and Intellectual Property; and "Consistently Recommended" in Technology Transactions and Computer & IT Law
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business 2016 (Canada: Corporate/M&A - Foreign Expert; and India: Corporate/M&A - Expert Based Abroad)
- The 2016 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada
- Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars Handbook 2016
Taxation (General) - Technology and Internet
Halsbury's Laws of Canada, First Edition (reissue), Lexis Nexis, 2016.
Canada's New 'Cyberbullying' Law Includes 'Lawful Access' Measures
World Data Protection Report, Volume 15, Number 2, February 2015.
Blakes Bulletin on Information Technology, January 23, 2015
Chapter on Canada
Sourcing World, Jurisdictional Comparisons, Second edition 2015, p. 69, November 2014
Growing Intersections Between Law and Entrepreneurship, Tech and Start-Ups
Technically Legal: Legal Meet-up: Tech, Start-ups & Entrepreneurs, DALA (Droit Autrement/Law Alternative), McGill University, Faculty of Law, Montreal, Quebec, October 19, 2016
Trends in Cybersecurity
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Vancouver, British Columbia, October 13, 2016
Stop Hackers From Taking a Byte: Cybersecurity and Responding to Data Breaches
Blakes Business Class Seminars, Montréal, Quebec, October 6, 2016
Managing Your Brand in a Global Marketplace
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Montréal, Quebec, September 21, 2016
The Evolution of the Law of Television and Broadcasting in the Internet Age
Lord Reading Law Society, Montreal, Quebec, January 28, 2016.
Upcoming Changes to Canada's Broadcasting Distribution Regime and the Treatment of Over the Top Internet Video Distribution
Canadian Bar Association / Quebec Section, Montreal, Quebec, November 27, 2015.
The Internet of Things
McGill Intellectual Property & Information Technology Policy Club (IPITPOL), Montreal, Quebec, November 24, 2015.
Technology Issues in Mergers & Acquisitions: Best Practices
Canadian IT Law Association - The Nineteenth Annual Canadian IT Law Association Conference, Toronto, Canada, October 2015.
McGill University/The Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), Copyright Master Class, Montréal, Quebec, August 7, 2015 and also in August of 2010-2014.
Copyright - Infringement & Civil Remedies
McGill University/The Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), Copyright Master Class, Montréal, Quebec, August 5, 2015 and also in August of 2010-2014.
Over-The-Top Content Distribution: The Future of Television
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Montreal, Quebec, January 20, 2015.
Intellectual Property - Patents - Brands: Considerations for Entrepreneurs Considering Buy-Sell/Financing Transactions
M&A Club, Montréal, Quebec, December 2, 2014.
Diversity 2.0 - Taking the Next Steps in Supporting Women and Diverse Professionals
Leadership Series, Blakes Business Class, Toronto, November 18, 2014.
Annual Update on IP Issues for Information Technology
The Eighteenth Annual Canadian IT Law Association Conference (IT.CAN), Montréal, Quebec, October 20, 2014.
Restart Required - What Businesses Need to Know About CASL's Computer Program Provisions
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Montréal, Quebec, October 8, 2014.
Software Copyright McGill University/The Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
Copyright Master Class, Montréal, Quebec, August 8, 2014 (also in August of 2010-2013).
Copyright - Infringement & Civil Remedies McGill University/The Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
Copyright Master Class, Montréal, Quebec, August 6, 2014 (also in August of 2010-2013).
Copyright: The Who, What, Where, When and How
Copyright Master Class, McGill University/The Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), August 6 , 2014.
Open Source Enablement: Balancing Technical Innovation With Legal Obligations
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Toronto, Ontario, April 15, 2014.