Michael's practice involves advising clients on a wide variety of corporate and commercial matters, with a focus on complex service arrangements, technology acquisitions, outsourcing, and technology law. He has experience with an array of complex technology transactions, including cloud computing, business process outsourcing, systems development and implementation, and licensing.
Michael has been seconded from Blakes to the Canadian branch of a global banking and financial services company as well as to the Blakes Beijing office. Before attending law school, he worked as an engineer with a multinational telecommunications and data networking equipment manufacturer in both network design and business development roles.
Michael's experience includes representing the following clients:
- A global retailer in connection with its partnership with a leading information measurement and management company
- A major Canadian bank in the implementation of a cloud solution from a global provider of cloud services
- A leading investment services provider in the material outsourcing of fund accounting services of a Canadian bank
- A large North American utility company in connection with its procurement of enterprise-wide information technology services, conducted through a public tender and procurement process
- A leading international operator of hospitals and provider of medical services in its implementation of enterprise-wide technology systems including a full enterprise resource planning system
- A global equipment manufacturer with regard to the Canadian regulatory compliance of its products
- A leading retail chain in connection with its implementation of touch-enabled digital marketing displays
- A large North American operator of lottery games in its implementation of various business-critical systems
- A Canadian financial institution in its development and release of a mobile application
- A leading Canadian bank in the transition of key support functions to an offshore service provider
- An international affiliate of a major Canadian bank in its procurement of enterprise-wide technology services from both local providers and leading global providers
- A hotel operator in the implementation of a mobile app for use by hotel guests
Blakes Business Class, Toronto, Ontario, October 2016.
Application of the GDPR to Canadian Organizations
GDPR Workshop, Council of Chief Privacy Officers, The Conference Board of Canada, Toronto, Ontario, January 25, 2017.
Hot-Button Topics in Intellectual Property Law: C**L!!! The Newest Four Letter Word When Installing Computer Programs
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Toronto, Ontario, June 3, 2014.
Banking on Technology: A Practical Guide to Compliance and Risk Avoidance - Reputational Risks Relating to Outsourcing and How to Mitigate Them
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Toronto, Ontario, February 25, 2014.