Marie-Hélène practises commercial law and advises clients in a variety of industries, including information technology, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. She regularly provides advice in relation to Internet, e-commerce, life sciences, privacy, marketing and advertising, and intellectual property matters.
Marie-Hélène assists corporations involved in the licence, sale, distribution and marketing of technology, goods and services to comply with Canadian legal requirements, including those specific to the province of Quebec. She has developed expertise in consumer protection issues related to online sales and regularly advises organizations on compliance with privacy, contests, language, labelling and other regulatory requirements.
Marie-Hélène's practice involves drafting complex commercial agreements relating to licensing, distribution, commercialization and transfer of technology, and advising clients on large technology-related corporate transactions.
- Drafting and negotiating licensing, services and distribution agreements and other complex technology-related arrangements
- Advising clients on technology, intellectual property and regulatory issues in the context of large technology-related corporate transactions
- Advising retailers on e-commerce issues, including consumer protection and regulatory issues
Marketing & Advertising
- Advising clients on marketing and advertising issues, including the review of various promotions, contest issues, online advertising and social media
- Advising clients on language issues, including with respect to websites, signage, labelling and advertising
- Advising pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device manufacturers and distributors on regulatory, contractual and procurement issues
- Reviewing privacy policies, consent forms, websites, insurance and financial services applications and other documents to identify privacy issues and drafting adequate data protection language
- Advising clients on data transfer issues in the context of large corporate transactions (including patient information, customer information or employee information) and advising various organisations on cross-border data transfer issues
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Marie-Hélène has been recognized as a leading lawyer in the following publications:
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 (Computer & IT Law)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016 (Health Care Law, Information Technology Law and Privacy and Data Security Law)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2016 (Telecommunications Media & Technology)
Blakes Bulletin on Corporate & Commercial, Franchising, Hospitality & Leisure, Intellectual Property, Litigation & Dispute Resolution, and Marketing & Health Regulatory, May 10, 2016.
Blakes Bulletin on Intellectual Property, May 2015.
Blakes Bulletin on Intellectual Property, February 2015
Stop Hackers from Taking a Byte: Cybersecurity and Responding to Data Breaches
Blakes Business Class Seminar on Technology, Montréal, Quebec, October 6, 2016.
Everyone is Watching: Select Issues to Consider When Advertising Your Company Online
Blakes Business Class Seminar on Technology, Montréal, Quebec, September 21, 2016.
PISSEDCONSUMERs, YELP!ing and RIPOFF REPORTing: User-Generated Content on Review Websites
Legal IT Conference, The Young Bar of Montreal, Montréal, Quebec, March 30, 2015.
Protection des renseignements personnels - suivi des développements récents
Blakes Business Class Seminar on Technology, Montréal, January 20, 2015.
Sign Language: the right to use trade-marks without French descriptors in Quebec
Hot-Button Topics in Intellectual Property Law, Blakes Business Class Seminar on Intellectual Property, Blakes, Toronto, June 3, 2014.