Max's labour and employment law practice focuses on the managerial side of labour and employment law. He defends employers in wrongful dismissal litigation, labour relations matters, employment standards disputes, human rights complaints, and represents employers in collective bargaining negotiations for unionized and non-unionized employees (including those within federal labour guidelines). He also prepares employment and consulting contracts, termination agreements, and workplace policies and handbooks, and is very familiar with the implications and enforcement of post-employment duties.
In his immigration law practice, Max counsels corporate clients seeking to hire foreign workers. He also assists foreign individuals seeking temporary employment authorizations in Canada and is able to provide advice with regards to various immigration applications for work and study permits, temporary resident visas, permanent residence and Canadian citizenship.
- Negotiating, drafting and advising on the employment, labour and privacy aspects of corporate transactions
- Advising and trouble shooting for corporate clients on all aspects of labour, employment and privacy compliance, including training of employees, managers and privacy officers within organizations
- Collective bargaining and advising clients on complex corporate transactions involving unionized and non-unionized employees
- Preparing and drafting the employment policies, guidelines, executive employment contracts and restrictive covenants for corporate clients
- Litigation involving the interpretation of executive employment contracts, shareholder disputes, wrongful dismissal actions, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements and share purchase agreements
- Advising clients in privacy law including drafting privacy policies, complaint procedures, Web site information packages, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act requests and assisting clients with Privacy Commissioner complaint
Damages on the Rise for Employment Misconduct in Terminating the Employment Relationship
Employment and Labour Law Reporter, Vol. 22, No. 9, pp.77-79, December 2012.
Renegades and Rogues: Fiduciary Duties and Restrictive Covenants of Employees in the Digital Age
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Calgary, Alberta, November 5, 2014.
Hiring Foreign Workers in Canada: Recent Developments and Practical Tips
Blakes, Calgary, Alberta, May 7, 2014.
Spring Training Camp for New to In-House Counsel - HR Essentials
CCA National conference, Westin Hotel, Calgary, Alberta, April 6-8, 2014.