Philippe's practice focuses on corporate and commercial law, with a particular emphasis on infrastructure and public-private partnership (P3) projects, mergers and acquisitions, private equity and energy.
Philippe has advised public and private corporations, as well as institutional investors, on a broad range of domestic and international commercial transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, reorganizations, financing transactions, outsourcing and distribution. He has assisted clients in a variety of industries, including financial services, investment funds, natural resources, construction, energy, media, real estate, manufacturing, and technology.
Philippe is fluent in English and French.
Philippe's recent experience includes advising:
- A market leader in the development of renewable resources projects in its proposed acquisition of a hydro-electric facility
- The shareholders of a corporation in the aeronautic industry in the sale of their business to Hutchinson S.A., a subsidiary of Total S.A.
- A consortium selected in the course of an auction in connection with its purchase of eight hydro electric facilities from Resolute Forest Products and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, valued at C$640-million, involving the negotiation of a long-term power purchase agreement and the refinancing of the debt facility of the target
- Dalkia, a subsidiary of Veolia, in connection with the development of two large biomass electricity projects in British Columbia, including in connection with the negotiation of a joint development agreement, EPC contracts, O&M contracts and long term fuel supply agreements
- The preferred bidder in connection with a C$2.1-billion P3 project for the design, construction, financing and operation of the Montreal University Hospital Centre (CHUM)
- Pension funds in connection with the constitution of various local and foreign investment funds for investments of over C$1-billion
- A foreign corporation in connection with a C$1.3-billion P3 project for the design, construction, financing and operation of the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC)
- The consortium selected for the design, construction, financing and operation of the CHUM Research Centre, a C$470-million project
- A major supplier of electricity in its proposed development of a large Combined Cycle Gas Turbine plant
- The worldwide leader in software and Internet services and solutions in its acquisition of a Quebec-based technology corporation
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Philippe is recognized as a leading lawyer in the following publications:
- The 2016 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Finance & Securities)
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 (Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities, Energy - Electricity, Infrastructure Law, Private Equity, Mergers & Acquisitions)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015 and 2016 (Corporate Law, Energy Law and Public Finance Law)
- Lexpert magazine, June 2014 ("Corporate Lawyers to Watch")
- Lexpert magazine, November 2013 ("Lexpert Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40")
- 2013 Client Choice Award in the M&A category for the province of Quebec from the International Law Office
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2013 (Corporate Law and Public Finance Law)