David advises domestic and foreign firms on all aspects of competition law and on foreign investment review under the Investment Canada Act. He has represented clients in a broad range of industries, including consumer products, manufacturing, energy, telecommunications and technology, finance and banking, chemicals and plastics, pharmaceutical and life sciences, construction, automotive, retail and others.
Before joining Blakes in 2011, David practised competition law in the Brussels office of a leading international law firm. He has significant experience dealing with the U.S. antitrust agencies and the European Commission. On occasion, David also served as a clerk at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. on its US$13.6-billion acquisition of Life Technologies Corporation
- Pearson plc in connection with the contribution of Penguin to a global trade-book-publishing joint venture with Random House
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV on its US$20.1-billion acquisition of the remaining stake in Grupo Modelo, S.A.B. de C.V.
- Maple Group Acquisition Corporation, in connection with its C$3.7-billion acquisition of TMX Group Inc., Alpha Trading Systems and The Canadian Depository for Securities Limited
- Embraco (a Whirlpool affiliate) on the EU, U.S. and other investigations regarding alleged anticompetitive practices in the refrigeration compressor industry
Abuse of Dominance
- Various complainants to the European Commission regarding the licensing of patents to standardized wireless telephony technology
New Clouds on the Legality of Unilateral Conduct in Canada
CPI Antitrust Chronicle, March 2014.
Canadian Perspectives on Competition Law and Reverse Payments Following FTC v. Actavis
CPI Antitrust Chronicle, September 2013 (2).
Collective Redress For Cartel Damages in Canada - Overview and Outline of Issues
16th Annual EU Competition Law and Policy Workshop, Florence, Italy, June 17-18, 2011.
Is the Focus on Patent Settlements Working?
Competition Law Insight, September 21, 2010.