David advises clients on all aspects of Canadian competition law and foreign investment law. He has represented clients in a broad range of industries, including consumer products, manufacturing, energy, telecommunications and technology, finance and banking, chemicals and plastics, defence and security, pharmaceutical and life sciences, agricultural, construction, automotive and retail.
David taught competition law at Osgoode Hall Law School for several years, is active in various bar associations and is a frequent contributor to competition law publications.
Before joining Blakes in 2011, David practised competition law in the Brussels office of a leading international law firm. He has extensive experience dealing with the U.S. antitrust agencies and the European Commission.
Recent representative matters include advising:
- Henkel AG & Co. KGaA in connection with its US$3.6-billion acquisition of The Sun Products Corporation
- BCE Inc. on its C$3.9-billion acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding common shares of Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. (MTS) and on its sale of a portion of MTS wireless subscribers and assignment of certain dealer locations to Telus Corporation
- Dell Inc. in connection with its US$67-billion acquisition of EMC Corporation
- BCE Inc. on its C$594-million acquisition of Glentel Inc. and subsequent 50 per cent sale to Rogers Wireless
- GlaxoSmithKline plc on its Consumer Healthcare, Vaccines and Oncology transactions with Novartis AG
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. on its US$13.6-billion acquisition of Life Technologies Corporation
- Pearson plc in connection with the contribution of Penguin to a global trade-book-publishing joint venture with Random House
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV on its US$20.1-billion acquisition of the remaining stake in Grupo Modelo, S.A.B. de C.V.
- Maple Group Acquisition Corporation, in connection with its C$3.7-billion acquisition of TMX Group Inc., Alpha Trading Systems and The Canadian Depository for Securities Limited
- Penguin Canada in connection with an inquiry by the Competition Bureau in respect of eBooks
- Embraco (a Whirlpool affiliate) on the EU, U.S. and other investigations regarding alleged anticompetitive practices in the refrigeration compressor industry
- Various complainants to the European Commission regarding the licensing of patents to standardized wireless telephony technology
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
David is listed in Who's Who Legal: Competition - Future Leaders 2017, which profiles the foremost practitioners in the competition community aged 45 and under.
Abuse of Dominance: Why Fine?
North America Column, Competition Policy International, April 2016.
Canada's New Intellectual Property Enforcement Guidelines - New Rules for SEPs in Canada
CPI Antitrust Chronicle, Volume 10, No. 1, Autumn 2015.