Richard's practice primarily focuses on acting for clients in public and private merger and acquisition transactions, in contested proxy battles and in public offerings of debt and equity.
Richard also has experience advising on lobbying and conflict of interest laws, as well as continuous disclosure and corporate governance related matters.
Representative transactions include advising:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- UnitedHealth Group in connection with its US$15-billion acquisition of Catamaran Corporation
- The Special Committee of Patheon Inc. on its sale to a joint venture established by its significant shareholder JLL Partners and Koninklijke DSM N.V. for US$2-billion
- BlackBerry Limited on a US$4.7-billion acquisition proposal from Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited
- Capstone Infrastructure Corporation on its acquisition of Renewable Energy Developers Inc.
- Nord Gold N.V. in connection with its C$300-million insider bid to acquire the minority interest in High River Gold Mines Ltd.
- Denison Mines Corp. on the sale of its U.S. mining division to Energy Fuels Corp. valued at C$83-million and related capital reorganization
- Maple Group Acquisition Corporation, as co-counsel, in connection with its offer to acquire TMX Group Inc. in a transaction valued at C$3.7-billion
- BHP Billiton on its US$40-billion offer to acquire Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan
- The underwriters in connection with the $1.8 billion initial public offering of common shares of Hydro One Limited.
- The underwriters in connection with Stornoway Diamond Corporation's C$946-million comprehensive financing transaction, including a C$132-million public offering of subscription receipts, to fund the construction of its Renard diamond project in Quebec
- BlackBerry Limited on its US$1.25-billion private placement of convertible debentures to Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited and other institutional investors
- A financial services holding company in connection with its C$650-million public offering of subscription receipts and concurrent C$600-million private placements of subscription receipts
- The dealer syndicate on the C$3-billion medium term note program of Hydro One Inc. under a base shelf prospectus
- Capstone Infrastructure Corporation on its public offering of C$75-million rate reset preferred shares
Blakes Bulletin on Capital Markets, March 14, 2017.
Blakes Bulletin on Capital Markets and Mergers & Acquisitions, February 2016.
Blakes Bulletin on Capital Markets, December 15, 2015.
Blakes Bulletin on Mergers & Acquisitions, April 2015
Applying Canadian Securities Laws to Social Media: A Square Peg in a Round Hole (OWTTE)
Blakes Business Class Insights, January 2015.
Blakes Bulletin on Mergers & Acquisitions/Capital Markets, December 2014.
Blakes Bulletin on Mergers & Acquisitions, September 2014.
Blakes Bulletin on Mergers & Acquisitions, July 2014.
Blakes Bulletin on Mergers & Acquisitions, May 2014.