Thomas is well known as an adviser to pension funds and institutional and private investors in the acquisition and disposition of real property and mortgage portfolios. He has also been active in the privatization and disposition of government assets throughout Canada.
Thomas has structured real estate joint ventures and partnerships and placed financing secured by real estate on behalf of both individuals and institutions. He has also assisted clients in transactions involving alternative energy and natural resources development.
Thomas is Co-Practice Group Leader of the Firm's Real Estate Group, made up of approximately 40 lawyers.
Representative transactions include acting for:
- Ontario Pension Board on its acquisition of a 30 per cent interest in the Toronto Dominion Centre and the C$300-million purchase of an undivided 50 per cent interest in the RBC Centre, a 41-storey class AAA office tower in downtown Toronto, Ontario
- Subsidiaries of Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan on the C$240-million purchase of 50 per cent interests in Quinte Mall and Devonshire Mall, and the acquisition of a 55 per cent interest in the Nexus 40-13 International Business Centre, Montréal, Québec; C$137-million purchase of Marlborough Mall, Calgary, Alberta and on the C$140-million purchase of Lansdowne Place, Peterborough, Ontario
- Clients of Bentall Kennedy in their acquisitions of the KPMG Tower in Montréal, a portfolio of three regional malls from Canada Pension Plan Investment Board; a 23 property industrial portfolio in Mississauga, Ontario; Western Canada Bank Place and Enbridge Tower, Edmonton; Air Canada Centre Office Tower, Toronto; North Hill Mall, Calgary; Cloverdale Mall, Toronto; and in numerous dispositions
- Standard Life plc on its C$4-billion sale of its Canadian business to Manulife
- Bell and Rogers Communications Inc. on their acquisition of a net 75 per cent ownership position in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Air Canada Centre and other significant real estate assets
- German, American and Dutch investors/lenders and syndicators on their real estate acquisition and lending programs in Canada
- The developer/borrower in infrastructure financings totalling more than C$160-million for territorial legislative building, office buildings and governmental residences in Nunavut, Canada
- Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia-based pension funds in acquisitions and joint ventures of office, industrial and multi-family residential assets
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Thomas has been recognized as a leading real estate practitioner in the following publications:
- The Legal 500 Canada 2015 (Leading Lawyer - Real Estate)
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business 2012 2015 states Thomas "...is singled out by sources as 'very efficient and practical' ... as a 'great communicator and negotiator.'" Thomas is the only lawyer in Canada listed as an "Expert Based Abroad" by Chambers Global with respect to its Corporate/M&A rankings for Germany.
- Chambers Canada: Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business 2016 (noted Thomas is viewed as a "top-notch" real estate lawyer and he is "calm and handles matters with confidence".)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2015
- Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Real Estate Lawyers
- Who's Who Legal Canada: Real Estate 2015 (Thomas is named as one of the 10 most highly regarded individuals in real estate in Canada by Who's Who Legal Canada 2015 and noted as an "excellent negotiator")
- Who's Who Legal: Real Estate 2015
Blakes Bulletin on Commercial Real Estate , November 28, 2016
Blakes Bulletin on Commercial Real Estate, November 24, 2016