Chris's practice focuses on domestic and cross-border debt financing, including asset-based lending, acquisition financing, debtor-in-possession (DIP) and exit financing in insolvency proceedings, and structured financing. Chris regularly acts for domestic and international banks and lenders, as well as for borrowers and other third parties in placing new loans and refinancing existing facilities. His practice also involves debt restructuring and enforcement.
Prior to working in the Blakes Financial Services group, Chris spent five years in the Restructuring & Insolvency group, practising primarily in the fields of distressed mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, financial restructurings, DIP financings and security enforcement, as well as informal, out-of-court workout arrangements. Chris's practice in this group also included insolvency litigation and debt enforcement.
Chris also worked as general counsel at a venture capital company where he advised on the structuring of start-up acquisitions, bridge financing and regulatory matters, as well as marketing, publishing and privacy matters in connection with a related social media website.
Reported decisions in which Chris has been involved include:
- Skyservice Airlines Inc. (Re), 2011 ONSC 6369
- GE Canada Equipment Financing G.P. v. Barber Group Rentals Inc. 2011 CarswellOnt 5878
- Skyservice Airlines Inc., Re 2011 CarswellOnt 3085
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce v. Nadiscorp Logistics Group Inc., 2010 ONCA 397
- Fraser Papers Inc., Re  O.J. No. 4287
- Arclin Canada Ltd., Re.  O.J. No. 3597
- Straumur-Burdaras Investment Bank hf., Re.  O.J. No. 3798
- Bank of Nova Scotia v. Huronia Precision Plastics Inc. (2008), 50 C.B.R. (5th) 58
Protecting/Pursuing the Assets of Owner-Managers and Closely-Held Companies
'Setting Up/Knocking Down Asset Protection Structures' Conference, Osgoode Professional Development, Toronto, Ontario, March 3, 2015.
Recent Developments in the Interpretation and Application of Inter-Creditor Agreements
The Intensive Short Course in Secured Lending and Debt Finance, Osgoode Professional Development, Toronto, Ontario, October 21, 2014.