Cassandra advises on all aspects of competition law, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, distribution practices, criminal and civil investigations, and compliance. She also advises on foreign investment merger review under the Investment Canada Act.
Cassandra has advised clients in a variety of industries, including energy, mining, technology, pharmaceutical, consumer products, agricultural, telecommunications, transportation, aviation, financial services, manufacturing, automotive and real estate.
Cassandra has completed secondments to Coca-Cola Limited, a major international law firm based in London and our New York office.
Cassandra is fluent in French.
Representative matters of public record in which Cassandra has been involved include:
- Synthes, Inc. in its US$21.3-billion sale to Johnson & Johnson
- Continental Airlines in its US$6.2-billion merger with United Airlines
- Nestlé S.A. in connection with its sale of a 52.5 per cent interest in Alcon, Inc. to Novartis A.G.
- Nestlé S.A. in connection with its acquisition of Kraft Foods Inc.'s frozen pizza business in the U.S. and Canada for US$3.7-billion
- Nestlé Professional in connection with its acquisition of Vitality Foodservice Inc.
- TUI Travel PLC and Sunwing Travel Group in connection with the acquisition of First Choice Canada Inc. (an affiliate of TUI Travel) by Sunwing
Competition and Antitrust Laws in Canada: Mergers, Joint Ventures and Competitor Collaborations
LexisNexis Canada, May 2013.
The Merger Control Review, 3rd Edition, Law Business Research, pp. 84-105, August 2012.
The Merger Control Review, Law Business Research, pp. 78-92, December 2011.
Foreign Investments in Canada - Sovereign Wealth Funds, State-Owned Enterprises and National Security Review under the Investment Canada Act
International Bar Association 2010 Annual Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, October 5, 2010.
The Merger Control Review, Law Business Research, pp. 68-80, September 2010.
Tempests in a Teapot, Sovereign Wealth Funds, State-Owned Enterprises and National Security Review under the Investment Canada Act
Presented at the Canadian Bar Association's Foreign Investment Review Committee (FIRC) Conference - Investment Canada Act: New Law and Policy, Toronto, Ontario, June 4, 2010.