Cassandra advises on all aspects of competition law, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, distribution practices, criminal and civil investigations, compliance, as well as foreign investment transactions under the Investment Canada Act. Her clients span a variety of industries, including energy, mining, technology, pharmaceutical, consumer products, agricultural, telecommunications, transportation, aviation, financial services, manufacturing, automotive and real estate.
She has completed secondments to Coca-Cola Limited, a major international law firm based in London and our New York office.
Cassandra is fluent in French.
Representative matters of public record in which Cassandra has been involved include:
- Suncor Energy Inc. on its purchase of all of the shares of Canadian Oil Sands Limited valued at C$6.6-billion
- Holcim Ltd on its divestment of North American cement, ready-mix, aggregates and construction facilities to CRH plc
- Holcim Ltd on its $50 billion merger with Lafarge S.A.
- Marine Harvest ASA on its acquisition of a significant minority interest in Grieg Seafood ASA
- Pembina Pipeline Corporation on its US$650-million acquisition of the cross-border Vantage Pipeline and Mistral Midstream extraction plant from Riverstone Holdings and Mistral Midstream
- Synthes, Inc. on its US$21.3-billion sale to Johnson & Johnson
- Continental Airlines on its US$6.2-billion merger with United Airlines
- Nestlé S.A. in connection with its sale of a 52.5 per cent interest in Alcon, Inc. to Novartis A.G.
- Nestlé S.A. in connection with its acquisition of Kraft Foods Inc.'s frozen pizza business in the U.S. and Canada for US$3.7-billion
- Nestlé Professional in connection with its acquisition of Vitality Foodservice Inc.
- TUI Travel PLC and Sunwing Travel Group in connection with the acquisition of First Choice Canada Inc. (an affiliate of TUI Travel) by Sunwing
Supreme Court Law Review (2016) 74. S.C.L.R. (2d), pp. 451-467.
Competitor Collaborations and Minority Acquisitions in Canada: A Practical Guide for Business
2015 Antitrust in the Americas Conference, American Bar Association, June 2015.
State-owned Enterprises: Strategic Considerations for Merger Control and Foreign Investment Review in Canada
ABA Section of Antitrust Law 63rd Annual Spring Meeting, Washington, DC, April 2015.
The Foreign Investment Regulation Review
2nd Ed, Chapter 3, London, UK: Law Business Research Limited, 2014.
Common Issues in Cross-Border Mergers: Setting a Proper Foundation
The Young Lawyer's Committee of the CBA Competition Law Section, the ABA's Young Lawyers Division and The Canadian Bar Association, Toronto, Ontario, June 15, 2016.