Christine is Co-Practice Group Leader of the Firm's Information Technology group. Her practice focuses on commercial transactions involving information technology and intellectual property. Christine has extensive experience in all aspects of information technology law, including outsourcing, systems and software acquisitions, systems and software development, licensing, various ASP and SAAS arrangements, complex services agreements and distribution/reseller agreements.
Having a strong background in intellectual property, Christine's work also includes technology-based joint ventures and strategic alliances, teaming arrangements and patent and other technology licensing in a broad range of industries, including telecommunications, financial services, insurance, pharmaceutical and defence. She also assists clients with various trade-mark and branding matters.
Significant recent matters include:
- Advising a significant U.S.-based technology company on the distribution and licensing of proprietary software solutions in the Canadian marketplace
- Assisting a Canadian-based technology company structure and negotiate a three-party billing systems implementation and support agreement
- Assisting a medical device company structure and negotiate a software-based medical system supply and service agreement with a group of hospitals
- Acting for a leading Canadian pharmaceutical company on the structuring, preparation and negotiation of a long-term collaboration agreement for the development and commercialization of a drug for the treatment of certain neurological conditions, including the securing of key patent and technology licences from a large U.S.-based biotech company
- Acting for a leading disaster-recovery provider in an outsourcing deal pursuant to which the existing and new nationwide managed hosting business of a Canadian telecommunications company would be fulfilled by such provider
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Christine has been recognized by the following publications:
- The 2017 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (Computer & IT Law)
- Chambers Canada: The Worlds Leading Lawyers for Business 2017 (InformationTechnology, Band 2 ranking)
- The Legal 500 Canada 2015, 2016 and 2017 (Technology)
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business 2012-2016 (Information Technology: Band 3 ranking)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2015 and 2016 (Computer Law, Technology)
- Whos Who Legal: Telecommunications Media & Technology 2016
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016 (Information Technology Law, Technology Law)
- The Best Lawyers International 2015 (Information Technology Law)
- IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners - 2012-2016
- IAM Licensing 250: The World's Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Lawyers - 2012 and 2013
New Cardholder Security Guidance Issued for Third-Party Service Providers
National Banking Law Review, LexisNexis Canada Inc., Vol. 33, No. 5, October 2014.
Blakes Bulletin on Financial Services/Technology, August 2014.
Beyond Cards: Evolving Regulation of Payments, Blakes Business Class Seminar, Toronto, Ontario, October 20, 2016.
Stop Hackers from Taking a Byte: Cybersecurity and Responding to Data Breaches
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Calgary, Alberta, September 29, 2016
The Cost of Data Breach in Canada
CORE Discussion Forum, Toronto, Ontario, October 1, 2015.
Minimizing & Managing Cyberliability
IT Law Spring Forum, IT.CAN, Toronto, Ontario, May 4, 2015
Commercial Software Development: Legal Considerations
Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Science, York University, Toronto, Ontario, November 13, 2014.
Software Licensing Transactions
6TH Mastering IP & IT Transactions Course, Federated Press, Toronto, Ontario, October 21-22, 2014.
Hacked: Responding to a Cybersecurity Breach
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Toronto, Ontario, October 8, 2014.
Contracting for Business Disaster Recovery
IT.CAN-LSUC IT Law Spring Forum, Toronto, Ontario, June 16-17, 2014.
Co-chair and Speaker:
Building Security and Risk Resilience into Vendor Ecosystems
Canada Financial Institutions Cybersecurity Summit, Toronto, Ontario, May 28, 2014.