Darren assists a wide variety of clients with respect to their advocacy needs, from large multinational corporations to individuals. He has a wealth of experience as lead and co-counsel in complex multi-party disputes.
Darren's interests and practice cover many areas of corporate and commercial, construction, class actions, energy, securities and real property litigation and dispute resolution, including mediations and arbitrations. Darren has appeared as counsel before all levels of Alberta courts and the British Columbia Supreme Court. He has also appeared as counsel in regulatory hearings in Alberta before the former Energy and Utilities Board, the Alberta Utilities Commission and the Alberta Securities Commission, and in complex mediated and arbitrated commercial disputes. Darren has also prepared an application for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada, which included a motion to adduce further evidence in that court.
During law school at the University of Saskatchewan, Darren received many academic awards, including the Law Society of Saskatchewan Gold Medal in 2004 for achieving the highest overall average grades of his class; he was also elected Valedictorian for his graduating year.
Recent matters that Darren has been involved with include:
- Co-lead counsel in a C$250 million construction dispute related to an oilsands project
- Lead counsel in a successful application to remove a caveat from development lands worth C$8-million, including resisting a stay application in the Court of Appeal
- Co-lead-counsel to a leading global EPC firm in several construction matters, total claimed amounts near C$100-million, with over three weeks of hearings
- Co-counsel to a materials supplier in a multi-party construction arbitration in which to the total claimed amounts are in excess of C$200-million, with over six weeks of hearings
- Counsel to a development company in an application to remove caveats filed on properties in Beltline and downtown Calgary with an estimated development value of approximately C$70-million, which was successful
- Co-lead counsel on a securities class action, certified by defendants' consent (including claims of oppression), seeking compensation for shareholders of several TSX Venture Exchange-listed oil and gas companies, which settled and was approved by the court
- Lead defence counsel to a major multinational manufacturing firm, a complex commercial dispute valued at approximately C$25-million that was successfully resolved
- Co-counsel on a multimillion-dollar right-of-first-refusal claim against other international oil and gas companies over valuable oil and gas rights in Saskatchewan, which went to trial
- Lead counsel on several ongoing matters for Alberta subsidiaries of a major Chinese real estate development company
- Has acted as lead counsel to several start-up, mid and top-tier oil and gas companies in Alberta and Newfoundland, acting in matters ranging from accounting disputes to copyright and intellectual property disputes
- Litigation/dispute resolution counsel to a major retail electronics company based out of Western Canada, also acts for a related company for commercial landlord-tenant matters for their Alberta commercial properties
- One of a team of counsel in a C$1-billion environmental arbitration and was personally responsible for management and bringing forward of approximately C$130-million of environmental claims
- Co-counsel in a cross-jurisdictional evidentiary dispute for a global oil and gas company related to a multibillion-dollar U.S. class action
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Darren has been recognized as a leading litigation lawyer in the following publications:
- Benchmark Canada: The Definitive Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys - 2013-2016 (Alberta Litigation Star and National Energy/Resources Litigation Star)
- Lexpert magazine - 2011-2013 (Finalist in "Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40")
- The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada - 2012-2014 ("Litigators to Watch")
Fast-Tracked Ad Hoc Construction Arbitration
ADR Perspectives, Vol. 4, No. 1, ADR Institute of Canada, February 2017.
Chapter 8 - Accepting Instructions
Canadian Legal Practice - A Guide for the 21st Century, LexisNexis Canada Inc., Loose-leaf Revision 46, 2016 (publication originally published in 2009).
Blakes Bulletin on Construction Dispute Resolution and Litigation & Dispute Resolution, July 22, 2016.
Blakes Bulletin on Construction Dispute Resolution, June 23, 2016.
Blakes Bulletin on Litigation & Dispute Resolution, January 7, 2016.
Two Recent Decisions Regarding Statutory Plans of Arrangement
Navigating Securities Litigation Risk: A View of Recent Developments, Blakes Business Class Seminar, Toronto, Ontario, February 8, 2017.
Effectively Navigating and Managing the Change Order Process
Construction Dispute Resolution Series, Blakes Business Class Seminar, Calgary, Alberta, December 1, 2016.
34th Annual Intensive Advocacy Course
Legal Education Society of Alberta, Calgary, Alberta, June 13 - 18, 2016.
Recent Developments and Court Decisions in Construction Law
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Construction Dispute Resolution Seminar, Calgary, Alberta, June 6, 2016.
Class Actions 101 - Navigating through a class proceeding in Alberta South Litigation Subsection
Canadian Bar Association, Calgary, Alberta, April 2016.
Re-Examining the Arbitration of Construction Disputes: Still the Best Choice for the Project?
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Construction Dispute Resolution Seminar Series, Calgary, Alberta, March 8, 2016.
Editor and Contributor:
Civil Litigation Breakfast Roundtable: Proportionality in the Rules of Court and Civil Litigation
2016 CBA Alberta Law Conference, January 28-29, 2016.
33rd Annual Intensive Advocacy Course
Legal Education Society of Alberta, Calgary, Alberta, 2015.
Case Comment - Bhasin v. Hrynew
South Litigation Subsection, Canadian Bar Association, Calgary, Alberta, April 2015.
Case Comment - Canadian Natural Resources Limited v. ShawCor Ltd, 2014 ABCA 289
South Litigation Subsection, Canadian Bar Association, Calgary, Alberta, January 2015.
32nd Annual Intensive Course
Legal Education Society of Alberta, Calgary, Alberta, 2014.