David specializes in outsourcing and technology-related matters. He represents organizations that are negotiating complex outsourcing, licensing, system implementation, or other commercial agreements. He also handles all technology aspects of transactions involving the purchase and sale of assets and/or shares, including transitional services arrangements between the buyer and seller.
David has been seconded from Blakes to large Canadian corporations in the financial services and retail industries. Before practising law, David worked with a team of electrical, computer, and software engineers to design customized computer processors for wireless headsets and digital hearing aids.
Representative outsourcing/commercial experience includes advising:
- Financial institutions, energy producers and distributors, and a global retailer on various technology outsourcing and other commercial arrangements with technology service providers and licensors
- Diverse organizations, including a Crown corporation, a museum, and an agriculture company, on system implementation and services agreements
- A major financial institution on the agreement with its main payment network for credit cards and debit cards
- A telecommunications company on multiple funding agreements with various government entities and a co-operation agreement with First Nations, in connection with a project to build broadband networks throughout certain regions of northern Ontario
Representative M&A experience includes providing technology and transitional services-related advice to:
- Suncor Energy Inc. on the $1.13-billion sale of its Petro-Canada lubricants division to HollyFrontier Corporation
- The Bank of Nova Scotia on the sale of the business and assets of Roynat Lease Finance, a division of its subsidiary Roynat Inc., to Meridian Credit Union Limited
- Standard Life on the C$4-billion sale of its Canadian insurance business to Manulife
- Transamerica/AEGON on the C$600-million sale of its Canadian insurance business to Wilton Re/CPPIB
- Ericsson Canada on its acquisitions of Telcocell and ConceptWave Software
- Audax Private Equity on its acquisition of the physiotherapy, rehabilitation and medical assessments businesses of Centric Health Corporation
- Just Eat plc on its acquisition of SkipTheDishes Inc., one of Canada's largest online food delivery marketplaces
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, September 28, 2016.
Outsourcing Agreements and B-10 Compliance
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Toronto, Ontario, May 18, 2016
Navigating the IT Supply Chain
TCLG, Toronto, Ontario, May 18, 2016.
Software Development Contracts
York University, Toronto, Ontario, November 3, 2015.
A Practical Guide to Compliance and Risk Avoidance in Outsourcing
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Toronto, Ontario, October 29, 2015.
When Good Outsourcings Go Bad
CORE Governance and Relationship Management Seminar, Toronto, Ontario, October 6, 2015.
Should it stay or should it go: IT issues with buying or selling a business
Blakes Seminar on Hot-Button Topics in Intellectual Property Law, Toronto, Ontario, June 3, 2015.