Debbie is a Partner in our Competition, Antitrust & Foreign Investment group, widely regarded as Canada's preeminent competition law practice. Consistently ranked as a leading competition lawyer in Canada, Debbie advises clients on competition/antitrust and foreign investment review issues in the context of domestic and multinational mergers and acquisitions. She also provides competition law compliance advice in respect of criminal cartel matters and reviewable practices, including joint ventures, resale pricing, advertising and distribution issues.
Debbie's knowledge and experience is sought after by clients in many of Canada's key industries, including financial services, retail and consumer products, technology, manufacturing and entertainment.
Debbie is currently the chair of the CBA Competition Law Section's International Committee and the vice-chair of the ABA Compliance and Ethics Committee. She is a frequent contributor to antitrust conferences and publications.
Some of the transactions Debbie has been involved in include advising:
- UnitedHealth Group on its subsidiary OptumRX's US$12.8-billion combination with Catamaran Corporation
- Foster Wheeler AG on its US$3.2-billion acquisition by AMEC
- Continental AG in its proposed US$1.9-billion acquisition of Veyance Technologies Inc.
- Element Financial Corporation in the acquisition of PHH Corporation's Fleet Management Services business for C$1.4-billion
- The Brick Ltd. on its sale to Leon's Furniture Limited for C$700-million
- Nexen Inc. on its proposed C$15.1-billion acquisition by CNOOC Limited
- TransGlobe Apartment Real Estate Investment Trust in connection with its privatization by PD Kanco LP and Starlight Investments Ltd. for aggregate purchase price of approximately C$1.03-billion
- Pembina Pipeline Corporation on its acquisition of Provident Energy Ltd. in a transaction valued at C$3.2-billion
- RSC Holding Inc.'s US$4.12-billion merger with United Rentals Inc.
- Maple Group Acquisition Corporation, as co-counsel in connection with its acquisition of TMX Group Inc. in a transaction valued at C$3.7-billion
- Hertz Global Holdings Inc. in its proposed US$1.5-billion acquisition of Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group Inc.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Debbie has been recognized as a leading competition lawyer by the following publications:
- Chambers Canada: Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business 2017 (Competition/Antitrust - Band 5).
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 (Competition/Antitrust Law)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2016
- Euromoney's Women in Business Law 2016
- Who's Who Legal: Competition 2016
- Who's Who Legal 2016 - Compendium Edition
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016 (Competition/Antitrust Law)
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business 2015 (Competition/Antitrust)
- Legal Media Groups Guide to the Worlds Leading Women in Business Law 2014
- Legal Media Groups Guide to the Worlds Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers 2014
- Global Competition Reviews 2012 Edition of 40 under 40
The International Comparative Legal Guide to Merger Control, Global Legal Group, 13th Edition, 2017.
Ontario Bar Association, Ontario e-Discovery Institute, October 2015.
The International Comparative Legal Guide to Merger Control, Global Legal Group, 12th Edition, 2016.
The International Comparative Legal Guide to Merger Control, Global Legal Group, 11th Edition, 2015.
Merger Due Diligence - Cross Border Compliance Considerations
ABA Section of Antitrust Law - Teleconference, January 27, 2016.
Attorney Client Privilege - A Multijurisdictional Review of Recent Developments
CBA Competition Law Section's International Committee and Competition Litigation Committee, ABA Section of Antitrust Law - Teleconference, November 23, 2015.
Ontario e-Discovery Institute 2015
OBA Conference, Toronto, Ontario, October 29, 2015.
Mergers Roundtable and Fee Forum with Competition Bureau Officials
CBA Mergers Committee - Teleconference/Conference, May 29, 2015.
Evolution of Merger Remedies in Canada and Globally - Enforcement Trends and Potential Pitfalls
CBA Competition Law Fall Conference, Shaw Centre, Ottawa, October 1, 2015.