Eleni has a varied employment law and litigation and dispute resolution practice where she represents clients in a wide range of industries, including mining, oil and gas, construction, and life sciences. As part of her practice, Eleni acts in both an advisory capacity and as litigation counsel on matters relating to general contractual disputes, wrongful dismissal litigation, post-employment competition by former employees, human rights violations in the workplace, privacy law matters, workers compensation and occupational health and safety matters, compliance with employment standards and executive compensation matters.
Eleni has appeared before the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the Court of Appeal for British Columbia and the Federal Court of Canada, and regularly represents clients on matters before administrative bodies and tribunals.
- Employment counsel to Carillion, PLC in connection with its indirect acquisition of a 60% interest in Rokstad Power Corporation for a purchase price payable in instalments of approximately C$75.4-million and its commitment to acquire the remaining 40% interest after five years at a price, subject to certain limitations, based on a multiple of EBITDA
- Counsel on Hartslief v. Terra Nova Royalty Corporation, 2013 BCCA 417, the British Columbia Court of Appeal's recent statement on the authority of counsel to enter into binding settlement agreements on behalf of their clients
- Employment counsel to Sirocco Mining Inc. on its C$114.5-million merger with Canada Lithium Corp.
- Employment counsel to an affiliate of Arbor Investments on its acquisition of PBF Pita Bread Factory Ltd.
- Employment counsel on the plan of arrangement transaction relating to Gateway Casinos and Entertainment Inc.
- Employment counsel to Adobe Systems Corporation on its acquisition of Nitobi Software Inc.
- Employment counsel to Tarasoft Corporation on its sale to CoreLogic Inc.
- Successfully resolving wrongful dismissal proceedings, human rights complaints and employment standards matters on behalf of employers
- Regularly advising clients in all aspects of privacy law, including drafting privacy policies, complaint procedures, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act requests, compliance with the Personal Information Protection Act and assisting clients with complaints and inquiries before the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia
- Advising clients on compliance with Canada's anti-spam legislation
- Counsel on E Care v. Macaraeg, 2008 BCCA 182, the leading decision in British Columbia on the jurisdiction of the courts in relation to enforcing employment standards legislation
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Eleni is recognized as a leading lawyer in the following publications and award:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015 and 2016 (Labour and Employment Law)
- Lexpert magazine, November/December 2015 (Named a Lexpert Rising Star: Leading Lawyers Under 40)
- Benchmark Canada: The Definitive Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys - 2014 and 2015 Editions (Future Star in British Columbia)
- The 2010 Lexpert Zenith Awards: Celebrating Pro Bono Publico (Category: Change Agent: Disability - Parkinson Society British Columbia)
Blakes Bulletin on Employment and Labour
Blakes Bulletin on Employment & Labour, January 2015
British Columbia Court of Appeal Upholds Objective Test for After-Acquired Cause for Dismissal
Employment and Labour Law Reporter, Vol. 24, No. 9, pp. 76-78, December 2014.
Off Duty Conduct and Workplace Consequences
BarTalk, Canadian Bar Association British Columbia Branch, p. 12, December 2014.
Compliance with Canada's Anti-spam Legislation: What Employers Need to Know to Get the Workplace Ready
Employment and Labour Law Reporter, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 13-18, May 2014.
Legal Experts: Questions and Legal Issues about Workplace Conflict
Skills Workshop - From Conflict to Calm: Dealing with High-Conflict Behaviour in the Workplace, Lancaster House, Vancouver, British Columbia, June 8, 2016.
An Update on the Law of Restrictive Covenants
Employment Law Conference 2016, Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, May 5-6, 2016.
Top 10 Tips & Pitfalls to Internal Investigations
Human Resources Management Association Conference and Tradeshow, Vancouver, British Columbia, April 26-27, 2016.
Downsizing: Maintaining Relationship in the Face of Changing Economic Conditions
12th Edition, Western Labour and Employee Relations Forum, Insight Information, Vancouver, British Columbia, January 28-29, 2016.
Employee Information and Workplace Privacy Issues
12th Managing Privacy Compliance Course, Federated Press, Vancouver, British Columbia, November 5-6, 2015.
Constructive Dismissal Refresher
Blakes Business Class Seminar: Recent Development in Employment and Labour Law 2015, Vancouver, British Columbia, October 29, 2015.
Litigation in Different Jurisdictions
Women in Litigation Forum, Benchmark Litigation, Palo Alto, California, June 30, 2015.
Fostering a Respectful Workplace: Harassment, Bullying and Human Rights
HRM Masterclass: The Legal Series, KMI Media, Vancouver, British Columbia, June 16, 2015.
Bad Behaviour, Bullying, Harassment and the Problem Employee
Blakes Business Class, Recent Developments in Employment and Labour Law, Toronto, Ontario, June 18, 2015.
Renegades and Rogues: Fiduciary Duties and Restrictive Covenants of Employees in the Digital Age
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Calgary, Alberta, November 5, 2014.
Speaker and Course Leader:
Workplace Privacy Issues
10th Managing Privacy Compliance Course, Federated Press, Vancouver, British Columbia, November 4-5, 2014.
Canada's New Anti-Spam Legislation: What It Means to Hit Send
Association of Corporate Counsel, Washington Chapter, Seattle, Washington, July 9, 2014.
Spring Training Camp for New to In-House Counsel: CCCA National Conference, Calgary, Alberta, April 6-8, 2014.
Canada's New Anti-Spam Legislation
Private Session with the CRTC and Industry Canada, Blakes Business Class Seminar, February 27, 2014.
Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation: What It Means to Hit Send
Blakes and Association of Corporate Counsel Canada, Vancouver, B.C., February 26, 2014.