Garth's practice is focused on the acquisition, development and financing of commercial real estate and infrastructure projects.
Garth advises numerous Canadian and foreign-based institutional clients, including pension funds, life insurance companies, real estate investment trusts, utility companies and Crown corporations, in connection with the acquisition, disposition, leasing and financing of their commercial and industrial properties.
For his infrastructure practice, Garth assists clients in structuring major design-build-finance-operate projects in the transportation sector as public-private partnerships, and on the real estate and construction aspects of various energy-related infrastructure projects.
Some recent representative transactions include advising:
- Investors Real Property Fund on its C$140-million acquisition of an office building in downtown Calgary, Alberta, and related assumption of the existing mortgage facility
A major pension fund on the acquisition of a number of development properties in Leduc, Edmonton, and St. Albert, Alberta
A consortium on its bid for and successful closing of a design, build, finance and operate agreement for Southeast Stoney Trail (the Calgary Ring Road) in Calgary, Alberta
Various consortia on bids for design, build, finance and operate/maintain agreements for multi-school projects in Alberta and a road project in Winnipeg, Manitoba
A major Canadian energy company in connection with the construction of a C$230-million expansion of a gas processing facility in Alberta
Various foreign and domestic institutional lenders on construction and term financings of commercial and industrial properties
- GWL Realty Advisors Inc. and its investor clients on:
- The C$105-milllion purchase of First & Jasper, a redeveloped class "A" office and retail complex in downtown Edmonton, Alberta, and related mortgage financing
- The C$178-million sale of an undivided 50 per cent interest in Gulf Canada Square, a 1.15 million square foot premier class "A" office and retail complex in downtown Calgary, and a related assumption of the existing mortgage facility
- The C$65-million refinancing of Watermark Tower and the C$150-million refinancing of Gulf Canada Square
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- The Legal 500 Canada 2017 (Recommended - Real Estate)
- Chambers Canada: Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business 2016 and 2017 (Repeatedly Recommended - Real Estate)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada - 2012 - 2017 (Real Estate Law)
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2015 and 2016 (Repeatedly Recommended - Infrastructure Law)
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2012 (Real Estate Law)
- Who's Who Legal: Real Estate 2012, 2015 and 2016