Hélène advises clients on technology business sales, commercial contracts and outsourcing transactions. Her mergers and acquisitions experience working in leading Montréal law firms, along with her knowledge of complex information technology (IT) and intellectual property (IP) issues, helps clients effectively manage their growth while diminishing business risks.
Fluent in English and French, Hélène advises international clients in North America as well as Europe and helps them navigate through both the civil law and common law systems.
Hélène Deschamps Marquis has been ranked by Lexpert as repeatedly recommended for Technology transactions.
- Assisted a major Quebec corporation in the negotiation of a cloud computing arrangement for an important part of its IT infrastructure
- Assisted various gaming companies with their financing and commercial agreements
- Assisted a major Canadian corporation in the energy sector organize and conduct a request for proposal for the outsourcing of an important part of its IT infrastructure
- Assisted a Canadian bank organize and conduct a request for proposal for the outsourcing of an important part of its IT infrastructure
- Assisted a major technology corporation respond to an important request for proposal in France
- Assisted Microsoft Corporation expand its IP portfolio by the acquisition of a Quebec security and software company
- Advised xwave, a Bell Aliant division, during lengthy negotiations with the Quebec government and its partners concerning agreements related to the Dossier de santé électronique interopérable du Québec and assisted xwave manage the risks related to such complex transaction
- Advised a French company on its purchase of a leading research and development consulting firm in the province of Quebec permitting the company to grow its North American market
- Advised a large software industry player in its negotiation of distribution agreements in Europe and the United States by assisting the company to secure a solid distribution of its products worldwide
- Assisted a forestry company based in Ontario acquiring sawmills and other assets in Quebec
Chapter on Canada
Sourcing World, Jurisdictional Comparisons, First edition 2012, p. 45, June 2012.
Impartition : Les défis juridiques
Les Affaires, Montréal, Quebec, February 14, 2013.
Outsourcing: Current Trends and Directions
Centre for Outsourcing Research & Education, Montréal, Quebec, November 8, 2012.
Canadian IT Law Association
The Sixteenth Annual Canadian IT Law Association Conference, Montreal, Quebec, October 29-30, 2012.
La Cour suprême se prononce sur le droit d'auteur
Séminaire Classes affaires de Blakes, Montréal, Québec, 10 octobre 2012.
M&A deal points and commercial norms: recent deal studies relating to principal legal provisions and framework
M&A Club of Montreal, June 14, 2012.
Cloud Computing: What Directors Should Know
Breakfast-Discussion, PWC, Montreal, Quebec, May 15, 2012.
Cloud Computing: Legal Challenges
Internet Law 3rd Edition, Conference Organized by the Federated Press, Montréal, Quebec, May 9, 2012.
Transiting from the Traditional Outsourcing Model to Cloud Computing: the Legal Challenges
Blakes Business Class, Montréal, Quebec, February 8, 2012.
Looking Ahead: New Developments in Technology Law
Blakes IT Seminar, Montréal, Québec, November 8, 2011.
Table ronde : nouveaux développements québécois en droit des technologies de l'information
présentation à l'Association canadienne du droit des technologies de l'information,Toronto, 26-28 octobre 2011.
The IT Practice at Blakes
BNI, Montréal, Québec, March 31, 2011.
Les clauses de limitation de responsabilité : enjeux et négociations
Blakes Business Class Seminars - Information Technology, Hôtel Place d'Armes, Montréal, Québec, February 23, 2011.
Does Copyright Reform Go Far Enough? Owners' Rights in Copyright Reform
Blakes Annual Seminar on Hot-Button Topics in Intellectual Property Law, Toronto, Ontario, February 16, 2011.
Generating the Letter of Intent: Techniques of Investment Bankers
M&A Club, Montréal, Québec, January 27, 2011.
La pratique en technologie chez Blakes
BNI presentation, Montréal, Québec, September 24, 2010.
Les Questions de PI/TI dans un contexte transactionnel
Presentation offered at Blakes, Montréal, Québec, September 22, 2010.
Selected Recent Developments in Canadian Law
Presentation to Bell Aliant, Halifax, Nova Scotia, June 16, 2010.
Le Logiciel en tant que Service: Les Enjeux Juridiques / Software as a Service (SaaS)
presented to the National Bank of Canada, Montréal, Québec, May 13, 2010.
Ce qu'il faut savoir avant de signer sa première Convention entre Actionnaires - What you should know before signing your First Shareholders' Agreement
Blakes Technology Seminar Series, Montreal, Quebec, March 11, 2010.
Les Contrats de Licence de Logiciel : Conseil pour une négociation gagnante
Presentation to the National Bank of Canada, Montreal, Quebec, January 27, 2010.