Melanie's practice focuses on private equity and venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, corporate organizations and reorganizations, and providing ongoing general advice to domestic and international clients. She also has experience with project financings, asset-based financings and subordinated debt arrangements.
Before joining Blakes, Melanie worked at a top-tier Australian law firm, where her practice included acting for both lenders and borrowers in domestic and international debt financing transactions.
Select transactions include advising:
- An affiliate of Auxo Management LP on its acquisition of UCIT Online Security Inc.
- An affiliate of High Park Capital Partners on its acquisition of eCompliance
- Northwater Capital Management on a variety of investments, including MTPV Power Corporation, Van Dyne SuperTurbo Inc., Skyonic Corporation, SAFCell, Inc. and NRStor Incorporated
- Affiliate of CI Capital in respect of the acquisition of IntraPac Corporation and a Canadian transportation and logistics business
- An affiliate of Sun Capital (CanGro Foods and subsequently DelMonte Canada) in connection with its disposition of the Primo Pasta Business, Soup Business and Breathsavers hard candy business
- An affiliate of Sun Capital Partners in connection with its acquisition of Timothy's Coffees of the World, Michel's Baguettes and Mmmuffins, on its sale of Timothy's Coffees of the World to Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. and, immediately prior to that sale, on the sale by Timothy's Coffees of its franchise restaurant operations to an affiliate of Bruegger's Enterprises
- An affiliate of Sun Capital Partners in connection with the Canadian aspects of its acquisition of Specialized Packaging Group to merge with the Paperworks Industries
- Macquarie in connection with the sale of its insurance premium funding business to Lake Forest Bank and Trust and in connection with the sale of its mortgage lending business to Paradigm Quest and National Bank Financial
- An affiliate of Cleantech Europe II Fund in connection with its investment in OZZ Electric
- An affiliate of Longroad Capital Partners LLC on the purchase of Plumb-Line Group Holdings
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Melanie was awarded the 2011 Lexpert Zenith Award for "Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year" and also received the 2011 Blakes Volunteer of Distinction Award.
Blakes Bulletin on Business Law/Private Equity, February 2012.
Issues in International Public and Private M&A: a Canadian Perspective
Association of Corporate Counsel Symposium, Dallas, Texas, May 16, 2013.
OSFI Guideline B-1- Outsourcing Risks and Compliance Issues
Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association, 2012 Compliance and Consumer Complaints Annual Conference, Montréal, May 9, 2012.