John provides M&A, corporate and securities advice to clients based in Canada and abroad who are conducting business in Canada. He has extensive cross-border experience advising international clients based in many parts of the world. His practice most recently has focused on Canadian cross-border M&A and corporate finance transactions involving U.S.-based clients, covering a wide range of industries.
John has advised corporations, private equity firms, investment banks and investment funds on M&A transactions, a broad range of public and private equity and debt financing transactions, as well as other forms of investment, both within Canada and cross-border.
John was formerly the Managing Partner of the Firm's Chicago office and one of the partners responsible for the Firm's U.S. initiative. He continues to devote a proportion of his time to the U.S. market and spends part of his time working from Chicago. He also previously practised Canadian law in the U.K. in the Firm's London office.
Representative clients and matters on which John has recently advised include:
- RR Donnelley, a Fortune 500 company, on multiple Canadian cross-border M&A transactions and corporate and securities matters
- Dover Corporation, a Fortune 500 company, on multiple Canadian cross-border M&A transactions
- Descartes Systems Group, an S&P/TSX Composite Index member, on multiple M&A transactions, financing transactions and corporate and securities matters
- Friedman, Fleischer & Lowe, a leading U.S. private equity firm, and its portfolio companies on multiple Canadian cross-border M&A transactions, equity investments and divestitures
- H.I.G. Capital, a leading U.S. private equity firm, and its affiliates on multiple Canadian cross-border M&A transactions, equity investments and divestitures
- Vedanta Resources plc, an FTSE 100 company, on multiple cross-border M&A matters, public offerings of debt and equity, and corporate and regulatory matters
- Experian Information Solutions, the U.S. operating subsidiary of Experian plc, an FTSE 100 company, on a cross-border M&A transaction and various corporate and regulatory matters
- Redbox Automated Retail on its expansion into Canada
- Groupon, on a Canadian cross-border M&A transaction
- Argon Medical Devices (a RoundTable Healthcare Partners portfolio company) on its acquisition of Angiotech Pharmaceutical's biopsy/interventional business
- ConAgra Foods, a Fortune 500 company, on Canadian cross-border M&A matters and other corporate and regulatory matters
Cross-Border Contracts: Best Practices and Traps for the Unwary
Deal or No Deal 2013, Risky Business: Minimizing the Day to Day Risk of Contracting, Association of Corporate Counsel (San Francisco Bay Chapter), Santa Clara, California, November 8, 2013.