John works on acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, financing, development, condominium and leasing transactions involving major Canadian commercial real properties, including many of the country's most prominent retail, office and industrial developments. He is particularly experienced in helping U.S. and European clients and lawyers understand the legal and practical differences in conducting real estate transactions in Canada. John also has specialized expertise in advising clients on unique real property issues and risks arising in the context of renewable energy projects, including hydroelectric and wind-generation facilities.
Significant recent transactions include:
- Advised FAM REIT in connection with its acquisition of seven GTA office properties from Slate for C$190-million
- Advised on real estate aspects of H&R REIT's C$2.75-billion acquisition of Primaris Retail REIT and agreement to sell portfolio of 18 Primaris properties to a consortium led by KingSett Capital for C$1.28-billion
- Advised on real estate aspects of Agrium Inc.'s acquisition of Viterra's wholesale and retail agri-products division
- Acted for the Government of Canada on its C$1.4-billion sale and leaseback of portfolio of seven office properties across Canada, containing approximately 3.5 million square feet of space
- Acted for KEYreit on its acquisition and financing of income producing and development properties in provinces of Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia, including sale-leaseback transactions
- Acted for a client of a pension fund adviser in the C$280 million portfolio acquisition of rental properties in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec
- Advised a pension fund on the real estate aspects of its acquisition of an interest in a portfolio of hydroelectric facilities in Ontario
- Advised on the acquisition, sale and financing of multi-family residential and office complexes and government buildings in several communities in the territory of Nunavut, Canada
- Acted for Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce on its C$1.1-billion disposition of an office portfolio in Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver and Edmonton, including the Commerce Court complex in Toronto
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
John is recognized as a leading lawyer in the following publications:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 (Real Estate Law)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2016 (Real Estate)
Leasing Mortgages and Creating Certainty with Lender-Landlord Agreements
Blakes Bulletin, April 2014.
Worth Fighting For?: Five Purchase Agreement Provisions That Deserve More Attention
Blakes Business Class Seminar, October 17, 2016
Focus on Real Estate Transactions: Overcoming Bumps in the Road
Blakes Business Class Seminar, April 23, 2014.