Joseph practises real estate law with a specialization in commercial leasing matters. He acts for several prominent owners, developers and tenants, and has worked on transactions that have been awarded "Deal of the Year" honours by the National Association of Office and Industrial Properties (NAIOP). He has also worked on transactions that have been reported as the largest commercial lease transactions in the city of Toronto for the year in which they were completed.
Recent representative matters include advising:
- Royal Bank of Canada in connection with its lead tenant lease and the development of RBC WaterPark Place, a new 30-storey office tower in Toronto's financial district; RBC will occupy approximately 600,000 square feet
- Crate & Barrel in connection with its roll-out of stores across the country
- GWL in connection with lead tenant leases to PricewaterhouseCoopers and Marsh/Mercer to kick off construction of two new office towers within the South-Core Financial District, Toronto.
- Public Works and Government Services Canada in the sale/leaseback of nine federal buildings across Canada in a transaction valued at over C$1.4-billion (likely the largest (by value) leaseback deal in Canadian history)
- CI Financial in its lease of the entire office component (nine floors) at Maple Leaf Square in downtown Toronto
- Public Works and Government Services Canada in connection with the redevelopment of 90 Elgin Street, Ottawa, and the long-term leases associated therewith
- True Religion Brand Jeans in connection with its expansion into Canada
- Oliver Bonacini Group in connection with its leased restaurant locations, including its newest restaurants at Bell Lightbox (the new home of the Toronto International Film Festival)
- Urbacon in connection with its lease of a build-to-suit office building to house the new Canadian headquarters of BMW Canada
- Granite Real Estate in connection with the leasing of its industrial portfolio across properties in Canada
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Joseph is recognized as a leading real estate and commercial leasing lawyer in the following publications:
- The 2017 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (Property Leasing)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016
- Who's Who Legal: Real Estate 2016
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 (Consistently Recommended)
He is also the 2011 recipient of the Real Estate Excellence Award as a Developing Leader presented by NAIOP.
Statutory Limitation Periods Related to Recovery of 'Rent': Finally, Some Clarity!
Making Cents of Recent Commercial Leasing Case Law, Blakes Business Class Seminar, November 2014.
Lease Impacts on Nav: How To Structure Your Leases For An Asset Sale Or Refinancing Canadian Real Estate Forum Conference 2016
Metro Toronto Convention Centre
What You Don't Know May Hurt You
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP, Toronto, Ontario
What You Don't Know May Hurt You
Blakes Business Class Seminar on Commercial Leases, Toronto, Ontario, May 18, 2016.
Not so Inconsequential - Waiving Recoveries Related to Indirect and Consequential Damages
The Six-Minute Commercial Leasing Lawyer 2016, Donald Lamont Learning Centre, The Law Society Of
Upper Canada, Toronto, Ontario, February 18, 2016.
Assessment and Taxation 101: MPAC's 2016 Current Value Assessment (CVA)
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Toronto, Ontario, November 23, 2015.
Making 'Cents' of Recent Commercial Leasing Case Law
Blakes Business Class Seminar, Toronto, Ontario, November 12, 2014.
Recent Case Law: Implications for Commercial Leasing and Other Real Estate Activities
RealLeasing Conference 2014, Metro Toronto Convention Centre, October 7, 2014.