Joshua advises domestic and foreign firms on all aspects of competition law, including merger review, cartel investigations, unilateral conduct matters and advertising/marketing matters. He also provides advice on foreign investment reviews under the Investment Canada Act and has worked with clients in a number of industries, including agriculture, consumer products, energy, finance, telecommunications and others.
Joshua has extensive experience in divestment work in relation to regulatory requirements and effectively completing complex transactions as part of regulatory approvals.
He has also testified before the House of Commons Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Technology regarding proposed amendments to the Investment Canada Act.
Before joining Blakes, Joshua worked for several government agencies, including the Competition Bureau - Legal Services Branch, the Ministry of the Attorney General of Ontario - Constitutional Law Branch, and the Federal Prosecution Service.
Recent representative transactional matters include:
- Summit Park on its US$50-million acquisition of certain assets from Iron Mountain Incorporated
- Westlake Chemical Corporation on its US$3.8-billion acquisition of Axiall Corporation
- Superior Plus Corp. in connection with its C$932-million proposed acquisition of Canexus Corporation
- Imperial Oil on its C$2.8-billion sale of 497 company-owned Esso retail stations
- Holcim Ltd on its C$50-billion merger with Lafarge S.A. and on its divestment of certain North American cement, ready-mix, aggregates and construction businesses to CRH plc
- Foster Wheeler AG on its US$3.2-billion acquisition by AMEC plc
- Schneider Electric SA on its acquisition of Invensys plc in a transaction valued at US$5.2-billion
- Maple Group Acquisition Corporation, as co-counsel, in connection with its acquisition of TMX Group Inc. in a transaction valued at C$3.7-billion
- Daylight Energy Ltd. on its C$2.2-billion acquisition by China Petrochemical Corporation, known as Sinopec Group
- BHP Billiton on its US$40-billion offer to acquire Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan
Recent representative disputed matters include:
- Alcon Canada in relation to a Competition Bureau investigation under the abuse of dominance provisions of the Competition Act
- Canadian Civil Liberties Association in relation to its intervention before the Supreme Court of Canada in an asset forfeiture case
- An auto parts company in response to a production order issued under the Competition Act
- United Continental Holdings Inc. in relation to the Competition Bureau's challenge of the existing and proposed alliance agreements between United Continental Airlines and Air Canada under the civil merger and competitor collaboration provisions of the Competition Act before the Competition Tribunal
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Joshua is listed in Who's Who Legal: Competition - Future Leaders 2017, which profiles the foremost practitioners in the competition community aged 45 and under.
He was also recently awarded the Prix Germain-Brière (Germain Brière-Prize) for the best published paper in the Revue générale du droit.
C.D. Howe Institute, March 2, 2017.
Investment Canada Act: Commentary and Annotation
LexisNexis Canada, 2014-2017.
Cartels, 5th Edition, Global Legal Insights, January 2017.
Supreme Court Law Review, 74 S.C.L.R., 2nd Edition, pp. 451-467, 2016.
It's time for a closer look at B.C.'s forfeiture law
Globe Debate, The Globe and Mail, January 29, 2014.
Foreign Investment and Competition Law Updates
Antitrust News, Newsletter of the International Bar Association Legal Practice Division, December 2013.
Canadian Perspectives on Competition Law and Reverse Payments Following FTC v. Actavis
CPI Antitrust Chronicle, Vol. 9 Issue 2, September 2013.
Canada's New Competition Commissioner Signals Greater Focus on Transparency
Antitrust News, International Bar Association Bulletin, September 2013.
National Journal of Constitutional Law, Volume 29, Issue 2, September 22, 2011.
Canadian Business Law Journal, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 232-259, June 22, 2011.
Promoting Innovation and Efficiency by Streamlining Competition Reviews
Inside Access, C.D. Howe Institute, Toronto, Ontario, March 3, 2017.
Common Issues in Cross-Border Mergers: Setting a Proper Foundation
The Young Lawyer's Committee of the CBA Competition Law Section, the ABA's Young Lawyers Division and The Canadian Bar Association, Toronto, Ontario, June 15, 2016.
Investment Review Post-Election - What Has Changed?
Foreign Investment Review Committee Annual Conference, The Canadian Bar Association, Toronto, Ontario, June 14, 2016.
NAICS Try: Frequent Issues Arising from the New ICA Forms
The Canadian Bar Association, Toronto, Ontario, November 16, 2015.
2015 Supreme Court of British Columbia Spring Education Seminar (Asset Forfeiture)
National Judicial Institute, Victoria, British Columbia, May 21, 2015.
The Canadian Bar Association, Toronto, Ontario, February 26, 2015.
Investment Review Division: A Year in Review
Investment Canada Act: A Five Year Retrospective - Experience From the Front Lines, The Canadian Bar Association, Toronto, Ontario, June 10, 2014.