Julie is a Partner in the Blakes Competition, Antitrust & Foreign Investment group, which was recently named the Canadian Competition Law Firm of the Year by Chambers Canada: Canadas Leading Lawyers for Business. She is recognized by the Global Competition Review as one its top Women in Antitrust, and Who's Who Legal: Canada has praised her for her "truly international practice" and "fantastic legal mind."
Julie advises domestic and foreign clients on all aspects of competition law, with a particular emphasis on multijurisdictional mergers and acquisitions. She has been at the forefront of the most complex and high-profile Canadian and cross-border merger transactions. Julie has special expertise in the Investment Canada Act and the State-Owned Enterprise Guidelines, and has been successful in securing approvals for foreign investors in Canada's key industries, including technology, oil and gas, pharmaceutical, and financial services.
Julie had a lead role on the antitrust aspects of a number of Canada's most complex and high-profile transactions including:
- Office Depot, Inc. on its US$6.3-billion merger with Staples, Inc.
- BCE Inc. on its C$594-million acquisition of Glentel Inc.
- ExxonMobil Canada Ltd. on its C$3.1-billion acquisition of Celtic Exploration Ltd.
- Marubeni Corporation on its C$2.7-billion acquisition of Gavilon Holdings, LLC, one of the largest general trading companies in Japan
- Outokumpu Oyj on its US$3.1-billion definitive agreement to acquire Inoxum from ThyssenKrupp AG
- Intact Financial Corporation on its C$2.6-billion acquisition of the Canadian insurance businesses of AXA SA
- Nestlé S.A. on its US$28.1-billion sale of a 52 per cent interest in Alcon, Inc. to Novartis A.G.
- Biovail Corporation on its US$8-billion merger with Valeant Pharmaceuticals International
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Julie is recognized as a leading competition lawyer in the following publications:
- Global Competition Review's Women in Antitrust
- Chambers Canada: Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (Clients are quoted as saying that Julie "provides exceptional advice on competition and foreign investment issues" and "We strongly believe that this is the best antitrust practice in Canada.")
- The Legal 500 Canada (Competition/Antitrust - Blakes is ranked in the top tier and client comments refer to Julie as a "standout partner.")
- Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law (Competition and Antitrust)
- Who's Who Legal: Competition (Clients were quoted as saying that Julie "receives praise for her 'truly international' practice" and "has a 'fantastic legal mind' and concentrates on multinational strategic alliance and compliance matters.")
- Lawyer Monthly Magazine's Women in Law Awards
- Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers
The Legal 500: Merger Control Country Comparative Guide, The In-House Lawyer, Legalease Ltd., February 17, 2017.
European Competition Law Annual 2013 - Effective and Legitimate Enforcement of Competition Law
European Competition Law Annual, Bloomsbury, April 2016.
Leading the Way: Canadian Women in the Law
LexisNexis Canada, Toronto, Ontario, September 16, 2015.
Maintaining Resale Price Maintenance: Canada and the Convergence to a Rule of Reason
American Bar Association Antitrust Law Spring Meeting, April 2015.
Competition Policy and Technology Markets: A Canadian Perspective
Competition Law Annual Review 2012, pp. 261-267, United Kingdom, 2014.
The Foreign Investment Regulation Review, 2nd edition, Law Business Research 2014, August 2014.
The Threshold, Newsletter of The Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, Vol. XIV, No. 3, pp. 58, Summer 2014.
The Threshold, ABA Section of Antitrust Law Newsletter of The Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, Volume XIV, No. 2, Page 41, Spring 2014.
The Threshold, ABA Section of Antitrust Law Newsletter of The Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, Volume XIV, No. 2, Page 75, Spring 2014.
Mergers: Who, What, Where, When, Why and How: A practical view on guiding a transaction through the remedy process
GCR Live 5th Annual Antitrust Law Leaders Forum, Miami, Florida, February 5 - 6, 2016.
Complying to Compete: A Workshop on Competition Law Compliance
Blakes Seminar, Calgary, Alberta, February 29, 2016.
Foreign Investment Review
GCR Live Hong Kong: Focus on China, Hong Kong, October 30, 2015.
Doing Deals on the Global Stage: Ensuring Successful In-House Transactions
Major Business Agreements - Negotiating, Crafting and Managing Commercial Transactions at Home and Abroad, Insight Conference, Calgary, Alberta, December 10, 2014.
Worldwide foreign investment review: basic principles and recent developments
GCR Live 2nd Annual Foreign Investment Review, New York City, NY, June 13, 2014.