Julie is a Partner in the Blakes Competition, Antitrust & Foreign Investment group, which was recently named the Canadian Competition Law Firm of the Year by Chambers Canada: Canadas Leading Lawyers for Business. She is recognized by the Global Competition Review as one its top Women in Antitrust, and Who's Who Legal: Canada has praised her for her "truly international practice" and "fantastic legal mind."
Julie advises domestic and foreign clients on all aspects of competition law, with a particular emphasis on multijurisdictional mergers and acquisitions. She has been at the forefront of the most complex and high-profile Canadian and cross-border merger transactions. Julie has special expertise in the Investment Canada Act and the State-Owned Enterprise Guidelines, and has been successful in securing approvals for foreign investors in Canada's key industries, including technology, oil and gas, pharmaceutical, and financial services.
Julie had a lead role on the antitrust aspects of a number of Canada's most complex and high-profile transactions including:
- Office Depot, Inc. on its US$6.3-billion merger with Staples, Inc.
- BCE Inc. on its C$594-million acquisition of Glentel Inc.
- ExxonMobil Canada Ltd. on its C$3.1-billion acquisition of Celtic Exploration Ltd.
- Marubeni Corporation on its C$2.7-billion acquisition of Gavilon Holdings, LLC, one of the largest general trading companies in Japan
- Outokumpu Oyj on its US$3.1-billion definitive agreement to acquire Inoxum from ThyssenKrupp AG
- Intact Financial Corporation on its C$2.6-billion acquisition of the Canadian insurance businesses of AXA SA
- Nestlé S.A. on its US$28.1-billion sale of a 52 per cent interest in Alcon, Inc. to Novartis A.G.
- Biovail Corporation on its US$8-billion merger with Valeant Pharmaceuticals International
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Julie is recognized as a leading competition lawyer in the following publications:
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business 2017 (Clients are quoted as saying that Julie is "extremely bright, extremely capable and extremely responsive.")
- Chambers Canada: Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business 2017
- Global Competition Review's 2016 Edition of Women in Antitrust
- The Legal 500 Canada 2017 (Competition/Antitrust) (Ranks Blakes in the top tier and refers to Julie as a "standout partner.")
- Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law 2016 (Competition and Antitrust)
- Who's Who Legal: Competition 2016
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2016 (Competition)
- Lawyer Monthly Magazine - Women in Law Awards 2016 (Competition)
- Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers 2016
The Legal 500: Merger Control Country Comparative Guide, The In-House Lawyer, Legalease Ltd., February 17, 2017.
European Competition Law Annual 2013 - Effective and Legitimate Enforcement of Competition Law
European Competition Law Annual, Bloomsbury, April 2016.
Leading the Way: Canadian Women in the Law
LexisNexis Canada, Toronto, Ontario, September 16, 2015.
Maintaining Resale Price Maintenance: Canada and the Convergence to a Rule of Reason
American Bar Association Antitrust Law Spring Meeting, April 2015.
Competition Policy and Technology Markets: A Canadian Perspective
Competition Law Annual Review 2012, pp. 261-267, United Kingdom, 2014.
The Foreign Investment Regulation Review, 2nd edition, Law Business Research 2014, August 2014.
The Threshold, Newsletter of The Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, Vol. XIV, No. 3, pp. 58, Summer 2014.
Mergers: Who, What, Where, When, Why and How: A practical view on guiding a transaction through the remedy process
GCR Live 5th Annual Antitrust Law Leaders Forum, Miami, Florida, February 5 - 6, 2016.
Complying to Compete: A Workshop on Competition Law Compliance
Blakes Seminar, Calgary, Alberta, February 29, 2016.
Foreign Investment Review
GCR Live Hong Kong: Focus on China, Hong Kong, October 30, 2015.
Doing Deals on the Global Stage: Ensuring Successful In-House Transactions
Major Business Agreements - Negotiating, Crafting and Managing Commercial Transactions at Home and Abroad, Insight Conference, Calgary, Alberta, December 10, 2014.
Worldwide foreign investment review: basic principles and recent developments
GCR Live 2nd Annual Foreign Investment Review, New York City, NY, June 13, 2014.