Janice has extensive experience in both the litigation and corporate/commercial aspects of environmental law, including environmental assessment, environmental permitting, remediation of contaminated sites, dangerous goods and hazardous waste management due diligence strategies, federal and provincial regulatory prosecutions, and administrative review of regulatory decisions. She works with a wide range of industries, including the energy, mining, transportation, manufacturing and forestry sectors.
Janice is a leading practitioner in the federal and provincial regulation of wildlife and, in particular, endangered species. She advises clients regarding the implication of endangered species law on their operations and has successfully represented clients in endangered species litigation matters.
- Counsel to several major resource-based industries in British Columbia and Alberta in defence and resolution of regulatory charges
- Counsel in a successful defence of conditions in a water licence before the B.C.
Environmental Appeal Boards
- Advises energy companies on the environmental assessment and permitting requirements for proposed LNG projects in northern British Columbia.
- Lead counsel on successful defence of judicial challenge, brought by two environmental non-governmental organizations, of a decision of the British Columbia Environmental Assessment Office regarding an independent power project
- Lead counsel in a successful appeal of a decision not to issue a permit for a road potentially impacting endangered species before the B.C. Environmental Appeal
- Developed submissions to the House of Commons Committee on Environment and Sustainability regarding review and amendment to the Species at Risk Act and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act on the behalf of several national industry associations
- Developed an integrated regulatory strategy for endangered species for a major hydropower development project
- Counsel in a successful defence of a challenge of permitting of landfill at a pulp and paper mill before the B.C. Environmental Appeal Board
- Advises a construction company on environmental regulatory compliance for redevelopment of major highways and construction of new bridges
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Janice is recognized for her expertise in the following publications:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (Environmental Law)
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (Environmental)
- Chambers Canada: Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business (Environmental)
- Who's Who Legal (Environmental)
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental, July 4, 2016.
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental & Aboriginal and Mining, May 24, 2016.
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental Law, April 26, 2016.
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental Law, March 10, 2016.
B.C. Expands Water Use Regulations: The Water Sustainability Act Comes Into Force
Vol. 13, No. 3, p. 20, March/April 2016.
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental Law, January 5, 2016.
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental Law, December 2, 2015.
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental Law, August 2015.
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental Law, July 2015.
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental Law, June 2015.
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental Assessments & Approvals, April 2015
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental Law, October 2014.
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental Law, May 2014.
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental Law, April 2014.
Recent Developments: Species at Risk Act and Migratory Birds Convention Act
Environmental Managers Association of British Columbia Annual Legal Update Session, Vancouver, British Columbia, January 21, 2016.