JP's practice involves all aspects of corporate/commercial litigation and dispute resolution. He has select experience in the areas of oil and gas, energy, construction, insurance, and employment
JP also maintains an active practice in white collar crime, specifically relating to anti-bribery, anti-corruption and compliance. He has assisted in conducting internal investigations resulting from anti-corruption and fraud allegations. JP also assists clients with conducting risk assessments and with developing and implementing compliance programs. He further assists with anti-corruption due diligence during transactions
Recent matters in which JP has been involved include the following:
Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Assisted in conducting Canadian and international anticorruption and fraud investigations.
- Conducted anti-corruption due diligence in connection with proposed multi-billion dollar merger of international companies.
- Conducted anti-corruption due diligence in connection with a large transaction involving a company in the aeronautics industry.
- Assisted in conducting a global risk assessment for multi-billion dollar public mining company.
- Assisted in defending client responding to Alberta Securities Act charges.
- Represented multiple corporations against former employees with respect to allegations of fraud.
- Assisted in successful insurance mediation involving a large agricultural corporation and a market of insurers.
- Represented large oil services company in successful settlement of insurance claim.
- Assisted drilling company in connection with Judicial Dispute Resolution and successful settlement respecting claim by former employee for wrongful dismissal.
Assisted in representing Freehold Royalties Ltd. in connection with its C$318-million acquisition of royalty production and mineral title lands from Penn West Petroleum Ltd.