Anne's practice covers various fields of energy law and environmental law, including climate change and regulatory. She advises multinational clients with operations in Quebec on corporate social responsibility matters and also practises in the area of aboriginal law.
Anne has extensive experience in advising clients on environmental matters, including regulatory approvals and compliance, and in transactions such as the acquisition or disposition of land. She regularly works with clients in the energy sector, in particular in the transportation of oil and gas. Over the years, Anne also developed an expertise in rail transportation and has acted as deputy emissary for the Government of Quebec on the development of high-speed train corridors in the Northeastern United States and Quebec.
With respect to aboriginal law, Anne assists clients in the private sector on matters pertaining to consultation and negotiation with aboriginal people, notably in the context of the development of natural resource projects. In this regard, she advises on aboriginal claims and assists in the negotiation of agreements between project proponents and First Nations, such as impact benefit agreements, consultation protocols and other arrangements. Anne also acts, on occasion, for the public sector in matters regarding aboriginal and treaty rights. She assisted the Government of Canada in negotiations with the Crees of Northern Quebec which led to an historic New Relationship Agreement regarding treaty implementation, an out-of-court settlement and self-governance.
Anne is fluent in French and English.
Recent representative matters include:
- Advising a Quebec government representative in talks for rail corridors linking Montréal to New York and Boston
- Advising a Canadian government negotiator for James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement negotiations with the Crees of Northern Quebec from 2004 to 2008
- Advising TransCanada PipeLines in several pipeline projects in Quebec in accordance with the National Energy Board Act
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Anne is recognized as a leading lawyer in the following publications:
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 (Aboriginal Law, Energy - Oil & Gas)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016 (Energy Law)
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2015 (Aboriginal Law)
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2014 (Aboriginal Law)
- Benchmark Canada: The Definitive Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys 2015 (National Star: Energy/Resources)
Blakes Bulletin on Corporate Governance, February 7, 2017.
Blakes Bulletin on Environmental & Aboriginal, March 7, 2016.
Trends and Insights, Blakes Business Class, September 25, 2015.
Blakes Bulletin on Business Crimes, Investigations & Compliance, June 2015.
Environment, February 2015.
Blakes Bulletin on Plan Nord, April 2015
Blakes Bulletin on Aboriginal Law, April 2015
The Canadian Rail Industry: Legal Landscape and Recent Developments, UK Trade and Investment, Rail Transit Mission to Canada
British Consulate General's Office, Montréal, Quebec, March 17, 2014.