Birch practices in the areas of employment and privacy law. She provides advice to clients in respect of all laws relating to workplace issues. Birch has extensive transactional experience, regularly advising on the privacy, labour and employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions.
Prior to joining Blakes, Birch was a partner at another international law firm as well as in-house counsel for a major Canadian energy company.
- Employer Advice: Advising employers on recruiting, hiring, discipline, terminations, employee relations, employment standards, compensation, human rights (harassment, duty to accommodate, protected grounds), diversity and inclusion, disability and benefits, alcohol and drug dependencies and workplace investigation matters.
- Privacy Issues: Advising private and public sector organizations with respect to practices, policies, complaints and investigations relating to the collection, use and disclosure of personal, health, sensitive, technological and other types of information, including the application of provincial and federal privacy and anti-spam laws.
- Contracts and Policies: Drafting and reviewing employment and privacy related documentation, contracts and policies, including employment and independent contractor agreements, severance packages, confidentiality agreements, non-competition and nonsolicitation agreements and workplace policies and handbooks.
- Litigation: Representing organizations on litigation, tribunal and arbitrations matters, including wrongful dismissal, provincial and federal privacy commission, employment and labour standards and human rights commission matters.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- The Legal 500 Canada 2017
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2016 (Management Labour & Employment)
Blakes Bulletin on Employment & Labour, March 30, 2017.
Blakes Bulletin on Employment & Labour, January 6, 2017.
Blakes Bulletin on Cybersecurity, October 19, 2016
Blakes Bulletin on Employment & Labour, Litigation & Dispute Resolution, and Oil & Gas, May 30, 2016.
Blakes Bulletin on Employment & Labour, Energy, and Oil & Gas, May 25, 2016.