Kathleen Keilty
Partner | Vancouver
Vancouver: 604-631-3318

Kathleen's practice has an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance with extensive experience acting for public and private issuers, private equity funds and investment dealers in a broad range of industries, including mining and mineral exploration, forestry, retail, financial services, technology, and manufacturing.

Kathleen advises issuers and underwriters on public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities. She also advises public and private companies and their boards of directors and special committees in connection with mergers and acquisitions, including take-over bids, plans of arrangement, going-private and spin-out transactions, and joint venture and shareholder agreements.

Kathleen is frequently engaged as counsel in connection with proxy battles and contested shareholder meetings.

Kathleen provides legal services through Kathleen Keilty Law Corporation.


Recent representative transactions include acting as counsel to:

Mergers & Acquisitions

  • Banco Santander, S.A. in connection with its acquisition of Carfinco Financial Group Inc.'s Canadian business for approximately C$298-million by way of plan of arrangement

  • Carillion, PLC in connection with its indirect acquisition of a 60 per cent interest in Rokstad Power Corporation for a purchase price payable in instalments of approximately C$75.4-million and its commitment to acquire the remaining 40 per cent interest after five years at a price, subject to certain limitations, based on a multiple of EBITDA

  • Liberty Metals & Mining in connection with its joint acquisition, together with Altius Minerals Corporation and others, of C$460-million of coal and potash royalty assets, sold by Sherritt International Corporation as part of its aggregate C$946-million divestiture of assets, which included a concurrent sale to Westmoreland Coal of Sherritt's prairie and mountain coal operations

  • Aurizon Mines Ltd. in connection with its defence of a hostile take-over bid by Alamos Gold which resulted in a proposed C$796-million acquisition of Aurizon by Hecla Mining Company

  • Lithium One Inc. in connection with its acquisition by Galaxy Resources for C$112-million in exchangeable shares

  • The Special Committee of Hathor Exploration in connection with the hostile take-over bid by Cameco, which, after an auction, resulted in a friendly acquisition by Rio Tinto for C$654-million

Corporate Finance

  • Tilray, Inc., a NASDAQ listed cannabis producer, in connection with its US$202-million initial public offering of common shares

  • The underwriters on the C$460-million initial public offering by way secondary offering of Subordinate Voting Shares of Aritzia Inc.

  • CPI Card Group in connection with its US$150-million initial public offering of common shares and the concurrent US$22.5-million secondary offering

  • The underwriters in connection with the US$800-million and US$550-million offerings of common shares by Silver Wheaton

  • MAG Silver in connection with its US$65-million and C$75-million offerings of common shares

  • Pretivm Resources in connection with its offering of US$129.9-million of common shares and its US$60-million primary and secondary offering of common shares and in connection with its US$540-million construction financing package which included a US$150-million callable gold and silver stream agreement

  • The underwriters in connection with the C$175-million, C$180-million, US$113-million and US$33-million offerings of common shares by Platinum Group Metals

  • The underwriters in connection with the US$250-million offering of convertible senior notes by Silver Standard


Kathleen has been recognized as a leading lawyer in the following publications:

  • The Best Lawyers in Canada - 2014-2019 (Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Mining Law and Securities Law)

  • The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory - 2018 (Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities and Mining)

  • The 2017 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Finance & Securities)

  • The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory - 2015-2017 (Corporate Finance & Securities)

  • The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada - 2014 and 2016

Show Past:
Page: 1 of 1       1        Items per page: 25 | 50 | ALL
Blakes Bulletin on Corporate Governance, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Securities Litigation, May 11, 2016.
Page: 1 of 1       1        Items per page: 25 | 50 | ALL