Although the Canadian market saw its share of highs and lows in 2016, this had minimal effect on the continuous flow of M&A activity across the country.
Thanks to our clients and strong team of lawyers, Blakes had the privilege of acting as a key legal adviser on a number of transactions last year, including five that were listed in Lexpert’s Top 10 Deals of 2016.
- Suncor Energy Inc.’s acquisition of Canadian Oil Sands Ltd. (counsel to Suncor – M&A, tax and litigation)
- Vail’s C$1.4-billion acquisition of Whistler Blackcomb (counsel to KSL Capital Partners LLC – M&A, competition and tax)
- BCE’s C$675-million acquisition of the remaining equity it did not already own in Q9 Networks (counsel to BCE – competition, M&A, tax and financial services)
- Corus Entertainment Inc.’s C$4.4-billion acquisition of Shaw Media Inc. (counsel to Barclays Capital – M&A)
- Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc.’s bid for CST Brands Inc. (counsel to Imperial Oil – energy, corporate, real estate, tax, franchise law, litigation, competition/antitrust and foreign investment)
Lexpert has been publishing its Top 10 Deals list since 2004. The list is based on an extensive canvass of Canadian M&A, securities and corporate finance lawyers.
About M&A at Blakes
Blakes has one of the largest and most active mergers and acquisitions practices in Canada. We are frequently retained by major domestic and international companies, financial institutions, private equity funds and leading international law firms to provide strategic counsel in M&A transactions. Our cross-Canada and international presence gives Blakes exceptional cross-border capability in principal markets around the world.
Find out more about our M&A practice.