Blakes was privileged to work alongside our clients on some of the most significant M&A transactions in the past year, including seven listed in Lexpert’s Top 10 Deals of 2017.
Our national M&A team advised acquirers in the following transactions:
- Agrium Inc. and Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc.’s merger to form Nutrien Ltd., with an enterprise value of C$36-billion (counsel to Agrium – Canadian M&A and competition)
- Cenovus Energy Inc.’s C$17.7-billion acquisition of ConocoPhillips Co. assets (counsel to Cenovus – lead finance)
- BCE Inc.’s C$3.1-billion acquisition of Manitoba Telecom Services (counsel to BCE – competition)
- Pembina Pipeline Corp.’s C$9.4-billion acquisition of Veresen Inc. (counsel to Pembina)
- CI Financial Corp.’s C$780-million acquisition of Sentry Investments Corp. (counsel to CI Financial)
With the broad scope of our national practice, our multidisciplinary teams also advised on the following:
- Nortel’s global settlement (counsel to UK Pension Protection Fund and Nortel Networks UK Pension Trust Ltd. – restructuring, litigation)
- Stelco Inc.’s restructuring (counsel to United States Steel – restructuring, litigation)
Lexpert has been publishing its Top 10 Deals list since 2004. The list is based on an extensive survey of Canadian M&A, securities, and corporate finance lawyers.
About M&A at Blakes
Blakes has one of the largest and most active mergers and acquisitions practices in Canada. We are frequently retained by major domestic and international companies, financial institutions, private equity funds and leading international law firms to provide strategic counsel in M&A transactions. Our cross-Canada and international presence gives Blakes exceptional cross-border capability in principal markets around the world.
Find out more about our M&A practice.