With the introduction of the Cannabis Act, the federal government is proposing to legalize and regulate the use of cannabis for recreational purposes by July 2018. Employers across Canada will need to carefully consider how this new legislation will impact the workplace.
Join a team of Blakes leading employment and litigation counsel who will discuss the key issues facing employers as they seek to address the impacts of this major legislative change.
- Breakfast and Registration: 8:30 – 9 a.m.
- Presentations: 9 – 10 a.m.
- Re-examining employment and health and safety policies to ensure clear communication of workplace rules
- How legalization may impact disciplining employees
- The use of recreational marijuana for medical purposes and the duty to accommodate
- Recent developments on drug and alcohol testing: Suncor Energy Inc. v. Unifor Local 707A, 2016 ABQB 269 and Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 113 v. Toronto Transit Commission, 2017 ONSC 20178
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP
199 Bay Street
Suite 4000, Commerce Court West
Mandatory Continuing Education
This program contains 1 hour of Substantive content.
Accreditation – Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA)
This program is approved for 1 hour of continuing professional development (CPD) under Section A of the CPD Log of the HRPA.
Blakes and Blakes Business Class communications are intended for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice or an opinion on any issue. We would be pleased to provide additional details or advice about specific situations if desired.
For permission to republish this content, please contact the Blakes Client Relations & Marketing Department at email@example.com.
© 2022 Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP