IP Litigation Legal Assistant
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, has an immediate opening for a mid-level Legal Assistant with intellectual property (IP) litigation experience to join the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice group in the Toronto office.
Primary responsibilities of the Legal Assistant include, but are not limited to:
- Managing lawyers’ email inboxes and calendars – booking appointments, setting up conference calls, monitoring email inbox and responding as required, and e-filing emails
- Drafting pleadings and preparing motion records, books of authorities and affidavits of service; arranging for filing of court documents; and booking examinations for discovery
- Maintaining physical and electronic filing system
- Entering, updating and generating documents in ACL
- Reviewing and finalizing prebills/accounts, monitoring fee estimates/budgets and quarterly reporting, and maintaining outside counsel guidelines and Accounts Receivable report prep and follow up
- Opening new matters in Business Intake system, preparing zero rate forms and retainer letters
- Entering and closing time dockets in Intapp
- Preparing/revising PowerPoint presentations
- Updating client information in InterAction and updating lawyer profiles
- Arranging travel including car rentals, flights, hotels and conference registrations
- Entering and monitoring lawyers’ Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours
- Legal assistant diploma is required
- Minimum of three years of experience supporting legal professionals in a corporate work environment
- Federal Court experience is required
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office, CMS, InterAction and ACL
- Strong communication, organizational and time management skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and the ability to exercise sound judgment
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality when interacting with internal and external clients
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please submit your application and include your cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we care about our people. We are committed to providing exceptional experiences for not only our clients, but also our employees by fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture. As a winner of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and Greater Toronto’s Top Employers awards, we understand the importance of fostering an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment composed of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities and in respect of other protected grounds during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.