Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, is currently looking for a Mail Clerk to join the Office Services & Facilities department in Toronto.
Reporting to the Manager, Procurement & Premises, this position is responsible for picking up and distributing mail and courier packages within and outside the Firm efficiently and on time. This position involves standing, pushing and lifting objects up to 25 lbs. The preferred hours of work for this position are 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time (EST).
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Distribution of Mail: Pick up, sort and distribute interoffice and Canada Post mail to the appropriate recipient promptly. Update mail carts as needed: name changes, moves, new hires, etc. Maintain a predetermined schedule for mail delivery.
- Processing of Packages: Maintain a record of incoming courier packages and deliver to the appropriate recipient promptly. Process all outgoing courier shipments using the 2Ship program, and track and trace packages to ensure the recipient receives the overnight deliveries on time.
- Incoming and Outgoing Mail/Couriers: Affix the appropriate postage for regular and oversized letters, registered mail and packages. Record postage-meter readings daily and maintain adequate funds in the postage meter.
- Reconciliation of Invoices: Review invoices and allocate appropriate docket/GL codes to shipments, match delivery/pickup requests with manifest and cross-check invoices for accuracy.
- Special Deliveries: Deliver to outside services such as having documents authenticated and affidavits sworn, serving and filing documents, registering trademarks and patents, making bank deposits, and delivering boxed materials to the courthouse.
- Provide Support: Provide coverage and assistance to Procurement, Facilities & Mail Services team members when needed. Assist colleagues in other departments with rushes and on busy, vacation and sick days to mitigate service gaps.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience in a mailroom office setting
- High school diploma is required
- College/university education and/or procurement/facility-related courses are an asset
- Previous experience in a mailroom, courier and an office services environment would be an asset
- Ability to prioritize and organize tasks that are under time restrictions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with others in a team setting to accomplish common goals
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office programs such as Outlook, Word and Excel
- Experience with courier software such as UPS, FedEx and Purolator
- Experience with 2ship would be an asset
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your application and include your cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we care about our people. We are committed to providing exceptional experiences for not only our clients, but also our employees by fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture. As a winner of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and Greater Toronto’s Top Employers awards, we understand the importance of promoting an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment composed of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities and in respect of other protected grounds during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.