Each year, Blakes are legal advisers on some of the most impactful deals involving Canadian companies. We were honoured to be a part of our clients’ success again in 2018. Advising clients across the country, Blakes acted as a key adviser on some of the most prominent transactions recognized in Lexpert’s Top 10 Deals of 2018, including:
- Bridging North America General Partnership on the C$5.7-billion (nominal value) project to design, build, finance and maintain the Gordie Howe International Bridge, an international bridge and border crossing over the Detroit River
- The underwriters in connection with the US$135-million initial public offering of BSR Real Estate Investment Trust
- Hiku Brands on the sale of its business to Canopy Growth for approximately C$540-million
- The Coca-Cola Company on the sale of its Canadian bottling and distribution business, Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada, to Kilmer Group
- Jarislowsky Fraser on the proposed sale of its business to Scotiabank for approximately C$950-million, which will create the third-largest active asset manager in Canada
- GIP Primus, L.P. and Brightwood Loan Services L.L.C. in connection with the sale of port assets in Algoma Steel Inc.’s restructuring under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act
In addition, Blakes advised on the following deals, also mentioned by Lexpert as some of the most impactful deals in Canada last year:
- Fairfax Financial Holdings’ acquisition of Toys “R” Us (Canada) Ltd.
- Galaxy Digital Holdings’ amalgamation with Bradmer Pharmaceuticals and First Coin Capital
- Kinder Morgan sale of the Trans Mountain Pipeline to the Government of Canada
- CST Canada Coal Ltd.’s acquisition of Grande Cache Coal mine
- Innergex Renewable Energy acquisition Alterra Power Corp.
- Metro’s acquisition of The Jean Coutu Group
- Nouvelle Autoroute 30 s.e.n.c.’s closing of a C$1.2-billion bond refinancing for Montréal highway Autoroute 30 concession project
- Novolex’s acquisition of The Waddington Group
- GFL Environmental Inc. recapitalization
- Slate Asset Management L.P.’s acquisition of a portfolio of properties from Cominar REIT
The Lexpert Top 10 Deals list is based on an extensive survey of Canadian M&A, securities, and corporate finance lawyers. Read the full article here.
About M&A at Blakes
Blakes has one of the largest and most active mergers and acquisitions practices in Canada. We are frequently retained by major domestic and international companies, financial institutions, private equity funds and leading international law firms to provide strategic counsel in M&A transactions. Our cross-Canada and international presence gives Blakes exceptional cross-border capability in principal markets around the world.
Find out more about our M&A practice.