In 2016, Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes) led the corporate finance law firm league tables for public equity financings in Canada for both capital raised (with approximately C$18-billion in financings) and in a number of financings (for issuer and underwriter clients combined) as reported by Bloomberg and Thomson Reuters.
This market-leading position results from advising our issuer and underwriter clients on equity offerings, convertible debt and preferred share offerings, including the three largest equity financings of 2016 and seven of the top 10, as reported by the Financial Post:
- TransCanada Corporation on its C$4.4-billion offering of subscription receipts, the largest bought deal in Canadian history
- TransCanada Corporation on its C$3.5-billion offering of common shares and its concurrent C$1-billion offering of preferred shares
- Suncor Energy Inc. on its C$2.5-billion common share prospectus financing
- A syndicate of underwriters on the C$1.97-billion secondary offering of common shares of Hydro One Limited
- A syndicate of underwriters on the US$1.39-billion secondary offering of shares of Canadian Pacific Railway Limited by Pershing Square Capital Management
- Encana Corporation on its US$1.15-billion offering of common shares
- Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. on its C$1.15-billion issuance and secondary public offering of convertible unsecured subordinated debentures represented by instalment receipts
“2016 was a busy and active year in Canadian capital markets as issuers capitalized on a favourable funding environment,” said Eric Moncik, a Partner in the Toronto Capital Markets group. “We very much appreciate the trust placed in Blakes by our clients that has allowed us to attain these No. 1 rankings.”
About Capital Markets at Blakes
Blakes has one of the largest and most experienced capital markets and securities law groups in Canada. We act for Canada’s leading public companies, institutional investors and investment dealers in a wide range of corporate finance transactions and securities regulatory matters.
Find out more about our Capital Markets practice.