Blakes has Canada’s largest aviation and aerospace law practice, and with it comes the expertise and experience to help our clients navigate the complex and challenging world of aviation law and regulation. Our team is comprised of dedicated professionals with backgrounds in the aviation industry, commercially trained pilots, and former officers and managers of various aviation businesses.
Those in the Canadian and international aviation and aerospace industries retain us because we understand their unique business, legal challenges, and the business environment and regulatory frameworks within which they operate. In 2017, Blakes was appointed as global external counsel to the Aviation Working Group (AWG), a leading industry association comprised of most major aviation manufacturers, financial institutions and leasing companies.
Our transactional practice focuses on aircraft and engine finance, airport infrastructure, aviation/aerospace mergers and acquisitions, aviation/aerospace procurement, business and general aviation, satellite financing, and aviation bankruptcy and restructuring matters.
Our regulatory and advisory practice focuses on Transport Canada and Canadian transportation certification and regulatory matters, aviation/aerospace tax and insurance, and drones.
Blakes lawyers are active supporters of Canada’s aviation and aerospace industries as members of:
- Air Transport Association of Canada
- Canadian Business Aircraft Association
- Aerospace Industries Association of Canada
- Canadian Owners and Pilots Association
- Aviation Working Group (Legal Advisory Committee)
- International Society of Transport Aircraft Trading
- Canadian Bar Association (Air and Space Law Section)
- International Bar Association (Maritime and Aviation Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Aircraft Financing Subcommittee/Aircraft Finance and Contracts Division)
- Canadian Aviation Regulatory Council Women in Aviation
- International Aviation Women’s Association
- Women in Aerospace
- The 99s