Chris advises clients on capital markets transactions and securities regulatory matters. Acting for a range of market participants such as dealers, market infrastructures, crypto trading platforms and structured products issuers, Chris helps clients navigate a complex regulatory environment and bring innovative products and business models to market. He also has a broad range of experience acting on transactions, including public and private financings and M&A.
Chris brings together transactional and securities regulatory expertise to provide clients with practical advice on strategic deals, innovative business models and novel securities products.
Representative transactions include advising:
CIBC on the launch of the first-ever Canadian Depositary Receipts (CDRs), a novel structured product providing Canadian investors with access to hedged fractional investing in large-cap foreign stocks
Flagship Communities REIT on its US$107-million initial public offering of trust units on the Toronto Stock Exchange
Granite REIT on public equity offerings of over C$580-million, and on private and public debt offerings of over C$1.1-billion, including its inaugural green bond offering
Agents on Sienna Senior Living Inc.'s C$150-million inaugural offering of debt securities
Underwriters on numerous public offerings of equity and debt securities, including offerings by Sienna Senior Living, Inc., Stornoway Diamond Corporation, Automotive Properties REIT, Slate Office REIT, Agellan Commercial REIT and Exchange Income Corporation
A major Canadian financial institution on its principal-at-risk and principal-protected structured notes programs
M&A and Reorganizations
Lundin Petroleum AB on the cross-border spin-off of International Petroleum Corporation as a public company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq First North exchange with an initial market capitalization of over C$500-million
The Special Committee of Callidus Capital Corporation on its going private transaction by way of plan of arrangement with Braslyn Ltd.
Element Financial Corporation on its C$8.6-billion acquisition of certain of GE Capital's fleet operations; its US$5-billion cross-border acquisition of the vehicle fleet management services business of PHH Corporation; its C$300-million acquisition of CoActiv Capital Partners, Inc.; and its C$20-million acquisition of Nexcap Finance Corporation
A TSX-listed mortgage investment corporation on its transition from the Canadian securities regulatory regime for investment funds to the Canadian securities regulatory regime for non-investment fund public companies
- Co-author : Derivatives Business Conduct Rule Issued by the Canadian Securities Administrators
Blakes Bulletin on Capital Markets, October 5, 2023.
- Co-author : CSA Imposes More Restrictions and March 24 Deadline on Unregistered Crypto Trading Platforms
Blakes Bulletin on Capital Markets, March 1, 2023.
- Co-author : CSA Gets Tougher on Unregistered Crypto Trading Platforms and Takes Position on Stablecoins
Blakes Bulletin on Capital Markets, December 16, 2022.
- Co-author : CSA Provides Derivatives Data Reporting Transition Guidance and the OSC Establishes New Fee for OTC Derivatives Market Participants
Blakes Bulletin on Capital Markets / Derivatives, December 5, 2022.
- Co-author : Undertakings Now Expected for Crypto Asset Trading Platforms Operating in Canada While Seeking Registration
Blakes Bulletin on Capital Markets, August 19, 2022.
- Co-author : Canadian Securities Administrators Propose Amendments to OTC Derivatives Trade Reporting Rules
Blakes Bulletin on Derivatives, July 8, 2022.
- Co-author : New Guidance on Marketing for Crypto Asset Trading Platforms Operating in Canada
Blakes Bulletin on Capital Markets, September 29, 2021.
- Co-author : OSC Flashes Further Warnings to Non-Compliant Crypto Asset Trading Platforms and Initiates First Enforcement Actions
Blakes Bulletin on Capital Markets, June 16, 2021.
- Co-author : Canadian Securities Regulators Deliver Bear Hug to Crypto Asset Trading Platforms Operating in Canada
Blakes Bulletin on Capital Markets, April 7, 2021.
Admitted to the Ontario Bar – 2013
JD, University of Toronto – 2013
MPhil (Distinction), Trinity College Dublin – 2008
BA, University of Toronto – 2006