The rise of Asia, where half of the world's population resides, is transforming the world’s economic and geopolitical landscapes. In twenty years, it is predicted that three of the four largest economies in the world will be China, India and Japan. China is currently Canada’s second largest trading partner, and invests billions of dollars in the Canadian economy. Opportunities for Canadian investment in China’s natural resources and other sectors are also robust and growing.
Since our Beijing office opened in 1998, Blakes has provided its clients with efficient and effective legal advice and services, and is dedicated to building relationships with Chinese companies and State Owned Enterprises (SOEs) looking to invest or expand into Canada. Blakes is staffed with Canadian and Chinese-trained lawyers fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
The Blakes China practice group offers local and global expertise in the following key areas:
- Mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and structuring, negotiating and implementing business strategies in Canada
- Foreign Investment, advising on all aspects of the Investment Canada Act (ICA)
- Competition & Antitrust and other regulatory matters
- Project finance, securities, capital market regulations and licensing
- International trade
- Tax planning in Canada
- Labour and employment matters
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Technology transfer and intellectual property protection
- Structuring, negotiating and implementing business strategies in China: joint ventures, wholly foreign-owned enterprises, PRC and offshore holding companies
Our expertise in these areas also allows us to participate in the majority of the significant investments by Chinese companies throughout Canada in numerous industries but particularly in the oil sands, conventional oil and gas, mining, and construction industries. We have a talented and diverse team of lawyers well versed in working with Chinese clients, who often work closely with Chinese, U.K., U.S., African, South and Central American legal firms in China-related transactions.